Thursday, May 27, 2004

Cops and Robbers

I'm back to my regular shift and I wound up on the scene at a bizarre police operation. Cops posing as drug dealers set up a sting to catch a group of drug dealers that dressed up like cops to rip off other drug dealers.

The real cops got into a shoot out with the fake cops. I rolled onto the scene to help in getting Katherine Blake on the air for the 6pm newscast. The desk sent a nightside reporter out and I stayed at the scene the rest of the evening. Nothing more was going on, but we had to stay just in case the scene was cleared and we could go in for a closer look at where the shoot-out took palce. Good times. Yeah.

We found out later in the evening that the bait for the drug dealers was $8,000,000.00 in cocaine. Some of the coke got spilled and we joked about the officers getting the coke off the ground. ssssssnnnnnnnniiiiifffff!

One live shot at 6pm and another at 8pm and I had to edit the nightside story. That's not really the way things are supposed to go, but I'm used to crashing to make deadline. Crashing is just our slang for editing quickly under pressure. The other photog was having trouble with the gear. They turned things over to me just twenty minutes before the newscast. I cut the piece and got it in on time. I'm pretty good at that.

I brought my lunch from home. A rosemary and dill chicken breast, pineapple juice, carrots and a salad. I'll remember that longer than the actual work.

1 comment:

Johnnie Walker said...

This ranks as one of the oddest "cops and robbers" stories I have ever heard!