Thursday, June 17, 2004

Georgia. . .

I got the chance to say a goodbye to Ray Charles today. It never ceases to amaze me how different one day at work can be from the next. On the other hand, Reagan's funeral last week had all the markings of an original event. As it turns out we're back in the burial mode for a major celebrity. I realized today how much my father's musical tastes influenced me. The music of my youth included Ray Charles. Mainly because he was one of the artists that my father liked and played often. My taste in music has changed over the years, but it will always give me comfort to hear "my father's music" being played.

Hey, if anyone is wondering, Ray Charles is in the casket. They opened it for viewing, but respectfully requested that no pictures be taken while it was open.

5 comments:

magz said...

dontcha find traditional veiwing just a tad bit morbid? strange rituals we humans have... but glad you were there in a respectful manner. u be frank... u b cool. thanks for the spelling lesson... i feel so cheaty to use editing programs! regards, maggie

beFrank said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
beFrank said...

Morbid doesn't even begin to describe my job at times. I see a lot of death and the aftermath we have to wade through for the sake of the public's right to know. There is a fine line to tread and I try to tread lightly, but often there is no good way to cover the news.

Coach Yoda said...

Once upon a time, the open casket was so that people could confirm the correct person was being buried, and make sure the person was actually dead. Coming from a Jewish background, I'm glad we don't have open casket. I want to remember the person for their life, not their death.

Ray, be in peace. You've given many of us peace. Peace of music. Thank you!

L D. Franklin said...

Very nice write up about Ray Charles.