Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Road Trip!

After a week of mostly fire coverage, I'll be heading off to do something a little different tonight. The station is sending me down to San Diego for an event at the Navy base. I don't have much in the way of details, but here's what I know so far.

My call time is 3:00am. I check out the satellite truck and leave for San Diego between 3am and 4am. I drive directly to the base and set up the truck. The cut-off time is 8:00am for getting the truck situated. After setting up (about 30minutes), I'm to take a cab over to my hotel. I'll have my out of town bag (clothes and essentials always packed and ready for short trips anywhere in the country), my Olympus E10 digital camera, and my laptop. The laptop carrying case will contain half a dozen magazines. I might have to bring my news camera with me from the truck. That means a run bag with extra tapes, the batteries and microphones. I take a cab to whatever hotel they've reserved. Check in and very likely go to sleep. This should all be done before noon and I'll have the rest of the day free.

My call time the next day is noon, so I'll start at 9am or 10am, have breakfast and get back to the base, taking my work gear, laptop, and digital camera. I'll get some water and snacks on the way and work single or multiple live hits for each newscast (12noon, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 8pm, 9pm, 10pm, until the last newscast of the day at 11pm). If all is well with the SAT truck. I'll drive it back to the hotel and crash until morning. Check out in the morning and drive back to Los Angeles. Gas up the truck, stow any extra gear that doesn't stay in the truck and head for home. Unless there's a huge breaking story, I'm done for the day and might be home before noon.

I don't know how many people might find any of this interesting, but that's what a typical out of town trip is like. In between live shots, I'll grab some food and take digital stills (which I will blog). I can use my cell phone and my laptop (if I have a strong enough signal) to post to the blog during the day. Meals are covered by a travel per diem of $50.00 a day. If I have time, I will go to the fanciest eatery availble, but I often have to just grab fast food and stay close to the truck.

You know, when I read this, I keep wondering where the Action-Man name came from. This seems kind of dull. I'm gonna look a little harder at that bounty hunter career I had considered or maybe I'll just go in at my regular time on Sunday and cover a completely different story. That's part of the beauty of my life. Almost every day there's something new and different. Thanks for reading.

12 comments:

Doug - The JeepCruzer said...

Dull? Aww Frank, it sounds like Action Man is alive and well. I have always wondered what's involved in doing some kind of remote for a station. (My dad used to work in Radio so the TV side has always fascinated me.) So as far as action goes, sound like you've got your work cut out for you. Thanks for shedding the light. Best of luck on the road!

CrazyMom said...

"Thanks for reading"????? I look forward to checking out your posts and your unbeivable pictures every day....I've been hooked!

dkgoodman said...

A lot of bloggers seem to be going to Comic Con. Might be a fun place to shoot some pics if you have time. Love your blog. - Dave

Tim O said...

Bryan,

I just found your blog today... Fascinating!

Keep it up Action-Man

Deanna said...

Say it slowly now..... A-c-t-i-o-n M-a-n, say it again, get used to the feel of it.... let it roll of your tongue, see how nice that sounds. That means what again??? I grabbed my dusty dictionary and this is what it tells me: ACTION "the accomplishment of a thing usually over a period of time, in stages, or with the possibility of repitition"; MAN ... no explanation needed. Once you put the two together.... it definitely sounds boring !!! he he... You are not. Get that? Now get out their and take pictures.... !!! Deanna.

Miki said...

A day in your life is way more exciting than mine (and most people that I know)so I think thusly the name of Action-man (and Action-wife for that matter) is rather fitting...love the site.... http://livin_on_the_edges.blogspot.com/

karria said...

Really enjoy ....so interesting beats tv

Lisa said...

"dull" and your blog do not even mix. Thanks for keep me entertained and interested. Lisa

Grace said...

were you doing this work while raising kids? this schedule requires an action wife- I know I've turned down my share of film gigs for the scheduling conflicts with indie mothering...and as long as your relationship is trusting, it's probably refreshing to return after being away.
be careful,
T
visit
http://www.livejournal.com/~metahara/

Grace said...

were you doing this work while raising kids? this schedule requires an action wife- I know I've turned down my share of film gigs for the scheduling conflicts with indie mothering...and as long as your relationship is trusting, it's probably refreshing to return after being away.
be careful,
T
visit
http://www.livejournal.com/~metahara/

magz said...

Hi almosta family member! the weather is HERE! Wish you were beautiful....lol.. sign my (bran new) guest book if ya feel like it.. it'd be an honor!) wishin you and action-family well... magz

beFrank said...

Comic-con? Noooo, I feel like I'm the oldest guy at spring break. Actually, maybe I'd drop by if I had the time.

Work Schedule? I've worked this schedule and worse. Action-Wife did an amazing thing early in my news career. She looked after the home-front and all three of our Action-Kids while I worked in Bakersfield for a year. It was tough, but we survived. I had an apartment there and came home every weekend.