Saturday, July 17, 2004

You want fries with that? Oh, you did.

I like to think I'm a pretty capable man. This point became the subject of debate around the news desk recently. On my way to lunch last weekend one of the desk folk asked if I'd be willing to pick him up some food.  No problem, but anytime I'm sent out of the house Action-Wife pins a note to my chest.  It's a list detailing every item by size, quantity, and brand.  We've developed that system after years of frustration.  The criteria for a note is simple and even my children know the procedure.  Is it more than one item?  If it's more than one item, give Daddy a list.
 
I tried to explain this to my co-worker.  When I got back to the station and the food was checked.  I got a question of (not a direct quote), "Where are the fries?"
 
I laughed.  We both laughed.  I called Action-Wife.  She laughed.  Her laugh made me nervous and maybe a little scared.  I'm sure it was from the years of frustration, but still it was a laugh.


5 comments:

Anea said...

This is such a relatable moment...I sympathize for you because my husband and I undergo the same, ermm, moments of "communication." He being the receiver of lists, I the taskmaster that writes in the detail. You are not alone in this listy dilemma (as I'm sure you must know), yet that creeping feeling of "Oh crud, I did it AGAIN" must have entered your mind. Ne'er fear, my good man. Remember, always, that your strengths are in areas that others do not have and if you were the type that could remember things without a list, you would NOT have the strengths that you do, right? Right!

You can always explain to people that without a list you are like Samson without his hair, maybe that'll give 'em some imagery they can take to heart!

Iron_Anne_Reade said...

When I lived at home, my mum would give me very detailed lists...it didn't work...I'm more of a visual person I guess. She should have given me pictures...

I'm the same way with cooking, I always seem to do something wrong when I have directions...but if I just go on a whim I usually do things right...

Peace, Love, and Piracy,

Iron Anne Reade

Funkmeister said...

Your wife is efficient, man! Don't knock the note on the chest thing. I am sure it works a treat normally, right?

Hey guys, As a European who doesn't know any better, I thought I might throw this one into the group: Why are yellow pads yellow? Apart from the obvious ("well, they'd be called white, blue or any other colour otherwise..."), is there a reason for yellow?

I have only seen these things in the US, so I was wondering...

beFrank said...

The yellow pads are yellow because of the mind control substances that the government uses in the fertilizer used on the special le'gull trees used in the manufacturing of legal pads.

The mind control substance is made from a chemical found in the skin of Yellow Tangs (also known as Pad Fish).

Pad Fish are a brightly colored tropical fish that come from a region of Kentucky known as the Van Allen Belt and . . .okay, I forgot where I was going with this. It's geting late I think.

usr_bin_wtf said...

Funkmeister – ooh, ooh, I know this one… wait, what was the question… Oh, ‘Yellow Pads.’ Well, being that we [Read: Americans.] are unable to do anything that is remotely outside of exploitation, some splendid person discovered that yellow is easier on the eyes, and thus the marketing engines warmed, and the townsfolk stood in awe knowing that we, could all work longer now by the muted efficiency of the yellow pad.

His or her inspiration was reportedly gathered at the consumption-through-licking the skin of some ‘Yellow Tangs.’ Well, the other part was true…