Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Obsession

It's Sunday. Well, it's the second day of my two day weekend. I've got errands to run and STUFF to do.

Each day I wake up and there seems to be a few more things in my life that I'm obsessed about. Okay, the blog is an obvious no-brainer. I check it through the day and I've really loved opening a window for everybody to see what I do when I should be working.

I'm looking for a few specific tech gadgets right now. At the top of the list is a networked media player. It will tie into a home computer network and access digital media (pictures, music, movies) to playback on a television. I've got all these digital photos and I like the idea of being able to sit back on my couch and sift through them.

Action-Wife has decided it's time for me to take the next step in expanding my cultural horizons and she's purchased tickets for us to attend a couple of operas. "La Boheme" and "Carmen" are coming up in the next couple of months. "Romeo and Juliet" is on the list for early next year. These are going to be great nights out for the two of us and I'm insanely looking forward to this. Why? I don't know, maybe it's the thrill of a new experience for me. Maybe it's the chance to dress up and have an evening out in the company of other people in a civilized setting. Loud noise and ill-mannered crowds at concerts and movies? Wow, really not fun for me.

Digital photography always seems to be on the list. I'm ready to buy a new camera, but I refuse to spend another dime unless they put all the features I want into a camera in my price range. Looking at the Canon 10D or the rumored 20D.

The list of "things I want" is always going to be longer than the list of "things I need" or the list of "things I can actually afford". I'm in pretty good health right now. All the headaches and sacrifice (Hi, TLC!) associated with raising a family seem to be paying off. I guess I need to remind myself of this every now and then. When there seems to be nothing but misery in the world, there is still quite a bit of happiness for regular folks. Moments of quiet in the world are few and far between. I look forward to them and I try to hang on to them.

Did I mention the kayak?

13 comments:

Lisa said...

That's me, too... "I have a lot of stuff to do... I think I will blog instead." :0-)

The 10D looks pretty cool, but I see nothing on Canon's site about the 20D yet.

I just bought a new printer and I would like to have something pictbridge compatible, but my cam's only a year old and I refuse to replace it yet (not that i have anything extra fancy or anything, but it's a Nikon nevertheless)

I am still hoping for lottery money to fund my wish list.

SidDawgone said...

Hello! This is one of my early visits but I already know I'm with a fellow wisher! And I should have recognized you already... I'm in Riverside County, and probably look at your work with some regularity! Keep up the great work, the great attitude and the great blog! signed, Magz's sister Allison

beFrank said...

Lisa, the 20D is a rumor, but it seems very likely.

SidDawgone, welcome to the blog. Norco? Hey, you're right. You are in our viewing area. Cool, you may have actually seen my camera work.

Lisa said...

We could probably catch it online, too, yes? I've seen some stations in your area publish video news stories online. I saw some reports the other day on the missing boy..

gemmak said...

Lol....another gadget freak! I have just replaced a camera thats barely a year old, want a new phone and I think I might have need for a new printer. Oh.......I forgot the lappy and PDA recently. Where will it all end?? :o)

Phin Samuels said...

Gadget frekas unite! I hate them because as soon as I buy something, something better comes out.

G. Travis said...

I hear ya on that one Phinehas. Although, I did get really lucky with my most recent gadget purchase (Fuji FinePix S7000).

planetary said...

Hey, I saw La Bum and Oldfellow last week. Really off, off Broadway. But good to see you opening up your horizons and going after new technology. Working in aerospace I could hip you to new stuff . . . but you know what comes after.

beFrank said...

Hey, I think I just struck a cord. New PDA or a smartphone is on my list too. I'm willing to make do, but come on. My laptop is almost two years old.

My son "J", suggested the GIZMODO blog for news on all the latest and greatest toys. I quickly "befriended" it.

Lisa said...

If you get time, can you try to photograph this?

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/040806_perseid_guide.html

dellislove said...

Sweetheart I think you totally missed the comment by Planetary about what comes after giving you "new" techno info . . . you of all people should know what THAT means! I want you around for a long time to come so I think you should pass on that particular offer. :)

beFrank said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
beFrank said...

I got it. I just tend to believe that "what comes after" might be more difficult to accomplish than people think.

(He said, in what might soon be known as his famous last words.)