Monday, August 23, 2004

Pa, it's okay. You can let go.

Scooter's first day back to school. She's a high school senior this year. I'm not completely freaked out yet, but it is in the back of my mind. At this time next year, she'll be off to college. There's not enough time or space on the internet to say everything I could say about how proud I am of her.



This is what comes to mind after I've dropped her off this morning. All parents probably have the same memory.

The training wheels are off and she's peddling pretty much on her own. All I have to do, is let go of the seat. She's riding the bike and I'm running as fast as I can to keep up with her. Eventually I can't keep up and I have to let go. My heart skips every time I see the wheel wobble, but she doesn't fall. I have to admit, it never really changes. I'd like her to slow down. I want her to keep her eyes on the road. I want her to avoid the bumps. It fills my heart and brings a big kool-aid smile to my face every time I see her look back over her shoulder at me. I can see that she's afraid (just short of terrified), but I also see everything else. I see the pride at her accomplishment. I see the excitement and I see her enjoying the feeling of independence.

She may never have really learned to ride a bike exactly like this. Her memory may be completely different of that specific time and event.

If she reads this (anyone who reads this), I'm sure you know. This post really didn't have much to do with learning to ride a bike.


A cup of java to go. I wonder if she's aware of how much smarter she is than I was at the same age.

Yeah, I know. She does.

(It's petty, but I can still ground her.)

12 comments:

suegee said...

Oh proud Dad! What a beautiful daughter you have -- and wonderful memories too. Your love for her shines though and just touches my heart. Would that all children were loved so much! What a better world it would be.

gemmak said...

Lovely post and the analogy with learning to ride a bike is just perfect. You have a very beautiful daughter.

dellislove said...

Sweetheart, I wanted to comment first but the darn system wouldn't let me on. Anyway, tears came to my eyes as I read this because you so eloquently put into words what I was feeling. I do try to tell her all the time how very proud we are of her. She had such big things to live up to and she's done a great job of it. We'll have to do some reminiscing on that bike teaching analogy :)

The Lonely Goatherd said...

You have made me a believer. The love that oozes in your family makes me feel so happy. I totally believe that your daughter knows inside as to how much you love and trust her, and no matter what, she will not let you down. Even if she may not seem to think that way, I am sure she knows it inside her:)

planetary said...

Years ago, Charles Barkley made a commercial about he and people like him not being role models. The message behind the commercial was that a child's parents should be the role models. Action-Man and DellisLove are great people and great role models ( and I get all this from the blog? So what, I'm going out on a limb.) More important, they are great parents.

Terri said...

Oh wow. Beautiful. Beautiful girl, beautiful sentiment, beautiful memory. There is hard evidence now that girls get their self esteem from their dads. I can tell this young woman will have plenty of it. Good. We need more woman like this in our world. Sometimes we forget to tell our kids how much they mean to us and how much we love them, but, you didn't, not today. Good for you. Great for her. Yea, you can let go, but don't. We always like to know our dad is there. I'll be 51 tomorrow and there are still times I want my dad. (and, he probably still thinks he can ground me too!)

dellislove said...

Thank you all for such wonderful comments. We are truly blessed!

Tara said...

I love posts like this! Happy, sappy and fun! :)
Congrats on getting to this milestone with your daughter and enjoying it (sad and sentimental, though it may be).
Tara

magz said...

Oh, i'm just rollin on the floor. Upon close inspection of yer darlin daughter, what's this I see twisted tightly round her lil finger? why.... it's 'Dad-ums'" he he he... Del? best keep a good grip on em both, you're elected. Muchosmoochos to the whole fam dambly!

J said...

While I'm not usually one for the sappiness, I have to admit that I am also very proud. As the older brother, I feel a little like she's riding her bike toward me, slowly making her way out to the world of us young adults. I'm proud of both of my little sisters and I know she, like her older sister, will do very well. I'll be there to offer tune-ups and directions along her way. Too much bike analogy? Maybe, but I didn't start it.

beFrank said...

Wrapped around her finger? I have to be careful. She could blog all the dirty laundry.

SidDawgone said...

I love the analogy! (got it LONG before you fessed up) and I love the trust that is obviously on both sides of this arrangement, father and daughter (and mom, too, Del!)! Congrats and continued good luck to all!