Saturday, August 21, 2004

Where is he?

"He's coming towards you!"

"I don't see him!"

"Get out of there, he's right next to you!"

This wasn't dialog from the movie "Alien". This is paraphrased two-way chatter during the high-speed pursuit I covered last night.

My first still shot of the pursuit. We're traveling South on the 5 freeway and he's traveling North. This is the third time we've seen him. He keeps making these u-turns and passing us in the opposite direction.



It's a longer story than I have time to blog this morning. We were following this thing for over an hour and it ended halfway to nowhere off the 14 freeway.

I have to be honest. It is exciting to be involved in a police pursuit. We're criss-crossing the freeways and trying to guess which way the suspect is going to turn. It's a big adrenaline rush. I imagine that's why people watch them. It wasn't the biggest story that happened yesterday. It just brings in the most viewers.

Thanks for watching. Gotta run, read the previous post.

6 comments:

dkgoodman said...

Great shots. Love the streaky one. Was that film or digital? Looked like film. How long was the exposure? A second? Two seconds?

Chatter between you and who?

dkgoodman said...

P.S. When you get a chance, can you change the link to my blog to dkgoodman.com/blog.html (drop the www.) it's confusing some of the blog indexes into thinking there's two of me. No it's not! Yes, it is!Thanks,
Us

beFrank said...

Digital shot with my Olympus E-10. It was in traffic and I was shooting out the drivers window.

The chatter was typical of the chopper pilot/reporter, the news desk, the reporter in the van with me, and the other photographer following this story.

beFrank said...

Oh, and the exposure was over a second, but I have no idea how it was set. It was strictly an opportunity grab. I had no time to do anything, but lift the camera and take a shot.

dkgoodman said...

In a lot of digital cameras the image gets noisy in low light conditions, and in long exposures, but that one looks clean. Nice camera. Long exposures are fun.

Nice to have an eye in the sky on car chases. :)

momzilla said...

I have had a couple of chances to do a ride along with a police officer and the last one I went on was a little hairy for me anyway...I just couldn't believe that people were not pulling over for an emergency vehicle...and compared to where you are this is a small town on the east coast...when the chase was over I was shaking...I'll let someone else get the adrenelin rush...that's not for me