Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Slow weekend days

I like 'em like that.



Last night I noticed that I was linked to a couple of blogs that focus on Los Angeles and Journalists. To be in such company? Stunned is putting it mildly.

Not knowing what else to do, I right away checked the husband manual. It says, Go tell your wife. I found Action-Wife in her home office with a stack of magazines, some beadwork, the days mail, and "Law & Order" on the TV.

"You busy?" I asked.

I know (keep in mind, I am just a husband). I get her to drop everything and showed her the links.

"That's so cool!"

I can't explain it, but that is the essence of why I love her madly.

It feels like I've graduated to another stage of blogging. If anybody asks me if I know what I'm doing now, I'd still have to look them in the eye and tell them, "Nope."

I started this blog to share a bit of what I do as a news photographer. It's become a lot more personal than I would have thought, but it's been nice to share ideas and opinions with so many close personal strangers. No offense to those who have shared their lives with me. It just feels good to be connected with others and exciting to know that this is happening across global boundaries.



I've thought more about the things that I take for granted and I've heard from people who see me a lot differently than I see myself.



At the end of the day, I feel good in knowing that people care. They care about each other, their causes, their families, the quality of their lives. There's a lot of people out here who will never make the evening news, but that's okay. I know you're there and that makes it easier for me to go to work and deal with the people who do make the news.

The pictures are from my backyard. I wanted to snap a few because I'll forget what it looked like this summer. I spent a little time with AW just taking care of the plants and our pond. Some people wonder why I don't need more in my life. I try to explain it, but if it doesn't click for them I give them the simple answer. . .

. . .just beCause.

11 comments:

Terri said...

Wow. I love that backyard. I'm sure whatever time you get to spend there it's not enough. I love the privacy. We bought a new house about 3 years ago - not by choice but what we could afford - bought to get the most equity in the shortest amount of time and all that - and still haven't put our backyard in. It's the size of a postage stamp but it's expensive if you're just starting with dirt which is all we have now. Well, and four dogs. Dirt and dogs. In Malibu my house was so private I never had window coverings. One entire side faced the ocean, no neighbors on that side and the other sides were very private. Now, neighbors 10 feet away on two sides and streets on the other two. I live with my window coverings drawn all the time. Like a cave. I love that your yard looks so private. And, I want a pond too.

dkgoodman said...

I want a pond too, but in the meantime I have oak half-barrels growing spearmint and water hyacinths (they have cool flowers), and goldfish to eat the bugs. Can you put up pics of your pond, beFrank? Backyard looks great.

Grace said...

gorgeous green life

beFrank said...

I posted some shots of the yard back in June or May. I'll try to put up a couple more or take some more recent ones. It's amazing how quickly everything changed over the summer.

Ruby in Paradise said...

Why you don't need more? Less is more! This post makes me think of one word, simplicity. Simplicity is a beautiful thing in my opinion. Thanks for the great post.

beFrank said...

I watch the landscaping shows a lot and I laugh when people spend tons of money on renovations. I understand the concept of spending what you can afford, but it's just so far removed from my experience. I cruise the Home Depot for the close-outs and buy younger plants (patience/cost ratio). Yeah, I've got a nice yard, but I only paid $48.75 for it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Frank..I just found your blog a month or so ago and I enjoy reading it.

Sandra in NC
http://sann.typepad.com/cause_whats_real/

Lisa said...

Beautiful yard! When can I expect you and AW to make mine look that way??

I agree with you on the young plants. Last year, we replaced some cinquifoil with zebra grass. They didn't make much of an impression then, but they are quite beautiful now.

See? You don't need "While You Were Out".

Terri said...

But seriously...how do you know where to plant? And what to plant? And what to plant, where? Your yard is so lush.

BTW, congratulations on the blog graduation. You know, it never occurred to me but my husband did a similar thing when I once was showing him my guest book where someone wrote what appeared to be, in Polish! He gets so proud of me for the silliest things, sometimes will stop what he's doing to come in a see something silly I've freeze-framed on the TiVo like a talking dog or singing gecko. STACK OF MAGAZINES....oh man, I love my magazines but never have enough time to go through them all and even when I do there might be just one thing in there I just might some day need (not that I'd ever find it) There must be some magazine magic fix trick. Yes, my stack of magazines is the one thing that makes him nuts. But only for nanoseconds at a time!!! Then he gives up, goes to the store and just to be sweet brings me a couple more. He just can't resist me!!!! That's what I love about him. He just can't resist me!!!

Anonymous said...

I think that your blog provides a terrific example of what is best (in my mind) about blogging. It's an honest insight into a world that many people don't see. Plus, your writing style is very comfortable and conversational. Keep it up!

-Jonah (from LABlogs.com)

beFrank said...

Jonah- Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm in this for the long haul and it feels like every word I write is helping me towards something. I don't know what, but really definitely something. Until I figure out what that is, I'm just going to keep enjoying the ride.

Thanks again.