Sunday, September 12, 2004

Where was beFrank in 2001?

With today being the 9/11 anniversary, I was looking at these old pictures. Serious, I'm not trying to be a hated man, but this is where I was on 9/11.



My station had sent a crew to Hawaii to produce a series of stories on resort living. I sat on my balcony looking out at empty beaches and skies. I'm told it was frantic back in Los Angeles.


We had a lot of worries about getting home that week (yeah, I know. Maybe 30 pounds).


Lunch wasn't one of the worries (Ahi salad).


One of the most tragic days in history. Surreal doesn't even begin to describe how it felt at the time.

4 comments:

Black Rat said...

We're priviliged to do the jobs we do, Frank - but I guess you know that. It doesn't feel like work at times and I guess a balcony overlooking a Hawaiian beach is the epitome of that. You can't help where you were or what you were doing on 9/11 any more than abody else could so if anybody has a problem with that, it is their problem - not yours.

Ruby in Paradise said...

Hawaii, California, Kansas, Louisiana . . . it doesn't matter what part of the states or the country you were in, I think we all felt it, things would never be the same again . . .

will said...

I think it's fascinating, that conflict of being in a beautiful place on a tragic day. I'm a big outdoors person, so it was interesting to me to read articles about people who were deep in the Sierra Nevada on September 11th, and returned to civilization four or five days after the fact to a world changed.

emily said...

It was a scary couple of days for me. My cousin works only blocks from the trade center and she was missing for a few days. It turned out they'd been evacuated to a football stadium, and it took forever to get back home to New Jersey.

My aunt also lives in that neighborhood, and told us she'd just eaten lunch in the restaurant at the top of the trade center a mere month ago. Someone was also looking out for her!