Friday, October 29, 2004

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

Sorry, I needed to get that out of my system.

I never set out to live anything like an adventurous life. It was a happy side benefit to a career that suited me well. This is our oldest child, Jannon J. Frank (No, not the guy with the grey moustache).

When he was younger, I called him Son-Boy a lot. It sounded cute back then, but it's probably past due time for me to come up with a better nickname. (How about J-Bird?)



As you can see, he's the real Action-Man of the family. I think there's always a "thing" between fathers and sons. I don't know what you call it, but it's that Oedipal/psychological/mumbo-jumbo "thing" where sons grow up and seek their own path. Fathers, for whatever reasons, are hesitant to let them.

I hope I've never been like that. (We could call him Action-Man Jr.)



He could write a book on the life he's led and it amazes me that he's only in his mid-twenties. He's studied abroad in Japan, travelled through Europe, spent over a month in India and graduated from Stanford. To say that we're proud of him is so much of an understatement, I'll leave it un-said. . .aw, heck. . .Son, we're proud of you.

But you knew that before you got on the plane. (How does Adrenaline-J sound?).


Please, shoot me if I make a bird. . .wings. . .flying analogy. I think for all the things we did for him while he was growing up, the thing that made the most difference in his life? Dellis and I loved him and made sure he knew it. (Adventure-Son? Say it again, ADVENTURE-SON!)



We didn't always agree with him (we are parents, after all), but we supported him in all the things that mattered. Maybe that's the secret. Be firm, but supportive and let your children know that they're loved.

I think it's cool that you've tried sky-diving, but what did I tell you about jumping out of a plane?

(Until something better is suggested, I believe I'm going to stick with Adventure-Son.)

7 comments:

Grace said...

I think it's cool that you've tried sky-diving, but what did I tell you about jumping out of a plane?
hahaaaa
ya'll are adorable with your blessed selves.

Tara said...

Amazing and daring man! Wow.
And inspiring parents.
:)

Anonymous said...

Wow. He looks a LOT like his Dad, doesn't he? I had to read that a couple of times to make sure it wasn't you! You have terrific kids. Proud? I'd be beside myself.

Ruby in Paradise said...

I really appreciated the parental advice. :) GO ACTION SON!

Anonymous said...

this is a message from Europe:

stopbushstopbushstopbushstopbushstopbush

your leadership affects everyone on this planet, think about it:stopbush

flexo

http://flexo.blogia.com

if you think that this is political crap we are sorry for bother you

thank you

Terri said...

Sorry the above anonymous - not the political one but the one where you look like your son, was me! I don't know why or how it was anonymous but that wasn't my intention!

J said...

Had a little bit of trouble posting. Took a couple days for Blogger to gimme my login info. Anwyway, I think Adventure-Son will be fine...definitely not J-bird, though.

"We didn't always agree with him (we are parents, after all), but we supported him in all the things that mattered. Maybe that's the secret. Be firm, but supportive and let your children know that they're loved."

I agree whole-heartedly that this is the secret to success.

And I didn't really jump out. You sorta fall out ;^)