Friday, November 05, 2004

Bukowski would be so ashamed of me

Working on my NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writer's Month) stuff . It's poetically beautiful and sunny in my world today and that makes up for the non-story at work last night. Drove the SNG truck up to Frasier Park to look for snow. That's driving almost to Bakersfield. I didn't mind the drive so much, but no snow was to be found.

That the third wild snow hunt I've been on and if you don't count my reflection in the review mirror, I haven't seen one flake yet. Three strikes, and damn if I don't still have one more day of work this week.

I've already had to get a late start on the novel because of my, you know, exhaustion and all.



I have good idea about the story and I've sketched a rough outline of where I want to go. I have no idea how my characters are going to get there, but I guess that's part of the fun. Good luck to everyone else writing.

Chai Tea Latte for me, I'll move on to the hard stuff later in the month.



It does a novel good, but I wish they called it something less girly. It's a good thing I'm a confident Action-Man. Maybe, I'll call it "Spiced Boiled Leaf Cocktail". Yeah, I know it'll never sell like that. It's a shame that I need people to believe it's something different from what it really is. You gotta hand it to the folks who work in marketing. We all need our illusions at times, especially when we need to justify ordering what we really want, but don't feel comfortable with what it is.

I'm gonna go get a refill on my "Hunt For Weapons of Mass Destruction" and make it a venti.

Happy writing, boys and girls.

13 comments:

dellislove said...

Oh Honey, you're such a manly man!!!
AW

Anonymous said...

Shucks. Thanks, AW.

will said...

Stephen King dreams up some characters, thrusts them into a situation and then hopes to hell that they find a way out.

Nice hat, by the way!

Lisa said...

So, how many words do you have so far? I'm close to 4,000. It's tough sometimes, but it's also fun.

beFrank said...

Thank you for the compliment on my hat. I do try to project a strong fashion sense.

beFrank said...

Between the plane trip home and my morning at Starbucks, I'm up to almost 2000 words.

Lisa said...

Good job.... Not bad for a busy person. :) Did you get the "No Plot! No Problem!" book? It has encouraging words in there for each week. I was looking ahead to week 2 yesterday. He said, basically, it's week 2 and if you haven't developed a plot for your characters yet, you're in big trouble! LOL Then he laughed and said it was ok. What IS a plot anyway? (she asked facetiously) Isn't it enough to have characters? :)

magz said...

you go, guy, go! i'm findin the writin process to be amazing, its honest-ta-gawd like ghostwriting, i have NO idea where its going untill after i read it, but wills on to it, just get yer peeple down, and they take off! jeez, my LIFE is a fiction, i only gotta change the names to protect the guilty, or 'wanted'. too much fun, and makin me nearly insufferable as i get more arrogant by the day. can you believe that this sweet demure lil blogger-gal has already done told Miss Manners to go piss up a rope? me neither, but whoever she is writin this book has an Attitude! I keep reminding friends its fiction. storry's made up. fick. shun. not me! hahahahahaaaa i dont know how, or where, to do word counts, but i did finally figure out it made sense to print out pages after i post em, theres about 20 now... and im off. one of my charecters getting horny, and another ones pissed off....

furiousmuse said...

yeah! another nanowrimo participant! go Bryan go!

Terri said...

I finished NaNoWriMo in 2002. My novel has now been edited into more of a Novella but while it's not the next great american novel, it's readable I hear.

Another Bukowski fan! We are few and far between these days I think.

Chai Tea: European soul food. I have no idea how many calories are in one but it's so comforting to drink a nice hot chai tea isn't it? So soothing and comforting.

I figured you might be up in the mountains looking for the most recent missing hiker. Well, not actually "looking" but looking at the people looking. Good luck on the novel.

Remember, "show, don't tell" (that still echoes in my head after taking writing classes at UCLA and being told time and again, SHOW Terri, don't TELL! It's all I can remember from the dang classes) Grrrrrrr...Also there were some who just barely short of the word goal in the final few days did word searches and took out some?, many?, most?, all? of their contractions! Sneaky little devils!

Buy Levitra said...

Great article! Thanks.

Phentermine said...

Thanks for interesting article.

Anonimous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!