Thursday, December 23, 2004

I'm starting to have candle issues

I'm just running past the computer and dropping in pictures from last night. I hate to give less than I feel the story deserves, but it's difficult to make the time.



A five year old girl died in an apartment fire two nights ago. Last night I helped out with liveshots for a candlelight vigil at the scene. Those tall little glass candle jars are really beginning to symbolize nothing but death and sadness for me.

It's easy to become overwhelmed by the sudden and completely unexpected events which shape our lives. Most days I'm just a witness to the events (too often sad) that are a part of other people's lives.



I have to leave for work.

If you're a spiritual person, I'd encourage you to offer a prayer for the family or at least keep a good thought in mind for them.

I'm not looking for anything for myself, I'm just a guy with too little time. Maybe even with all the time in the world, it might not be enough to say everything that could be said about an innocent little girl.

Five years might be a lifetime. I'm sorry here that it was.

5 comments:

Paco said...

sad to hear bad news... especially when u are the witness... i´ll do what u ask me to do... hope this could help...
from Mexico Happy Christmas !!

Terri said...

I saw this on the news and it broke my heart. Young 5 year old sleeping in her bed dies from a bullet from a drive by shooting. Lying in her own bed where any child should be safe. IN HER OWN DAMN BED for God's sake. Supposedly they have a guy in custody but big deal. She's gone. He's a kid basically. Looks like an idiot gang member. And all for what? A life gone, in the blink of an eye, and for what? For nothing, that's what. She was lying there, completely innocent. Lying there, quietly, maybe dreaming as she falls asleep in her bed probably with her favorite toy and blanket "protecting" her. Sometimes I hate this world and many of the people in it. Peace on earth - goodwill towards men - Yea, right. It's hard to say those words anymore without feeling bitter, angry and cynical. Sorry, but this stuff really gets to me. It gets me in the very core of my being. This senseless act of violence stuff is almost more than a sane human can handle. Yes, too many of those tall little glass candles.

beFrank said...

Thanks Paco. Terri, I just hang onto the thought that it's only through the strong will of people who aren't willing to surrender to the bad in the world that we actually make things better.

Merry Christmas Everybody!

beFrank said...

Thanks Paco. Terri, I just hang onto the thought that it's only through the strong will of people who aren't willing to surrender to the bad in the world that we actually make things better.

Merry Christmas Everybody!

Terri said...

I know, I know. I'm just becoming a bitter old hag in my menopausal years. It's just, well, it's just that, well, you know, right? It's just that it sucks. For that family I can't imagine their grief and will say prays for them and anybody having to live with a similar circumstance. It's hard to fathom how they will go on but I hope and pray they do. I'm not sure I could. I guess you do cause what's the alternative? I hope for their sake they have some kind of religious faith because that's the only thing that would get me through something like this.

Merry Christmas my friend and please give my best to Dellis. I hope you and your family have a wonderful, safe, happy and Merry Christmas (I know I'm supposed to say, Have a Happy "Holiday," cause Christmas isn't PC but dang it, it is supposed to be a religious holiday, right?) - that's another one of my pet peeves, "you can't say this, you can't say that, drives me nuts - YOu know what? I'm going to have to get me some hormones for Christmas!!! Anyway, have a wonderful whatever it is you celebrate and love and peace to you all!