Monday, January 17, 2005

After the thunder

The weather is much better, but it's still a slow recovery.

I had one day off on Saturday and then had to be back on the job for an early start to my work week. I spent a huge chunk of Sunday (and a little bit of Monday) in La Conchita. Came home late and got up late. I'll be heading back up today.



As of yesterday, there was no running water and no electricity in the town. The houses that are still standing are dark and most of the residents are staying somewhere else.



The highway is open, but the traffic was congested in both directions during the day.



It's a disturbing sight as you pass the town at night. Most of the media crews are gone and over the holiday weekend, the work crews had also cleared out. It was quiet and empty and sad.



The crews will be back on Tuesday to continue digging out and shoring up the hillside. It's still too early to tell what's going to eventually happen to the town. I just have a feeling that we'll be there to keep everyone else informed.

As of last night, it was quiet. I hope it stays that way.



It's been a long week for us. I'm sure it's been worse for the residents.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I wanted Golden Globe pics!

beFrank said...

You and me both.