Monday, January 24, 2005

Happy Birthday to me

It was actually Dellis' Birthday this weekend, but I think I reaped more of the benefit.

She and I haven't really had a lot of time together recently, so we managed a little overnight stay away from home to get away from it all.

I spend enough time in hotel rooms to feel like it's not any great treat, but I do try to remember that it's different for Dellis. She's the better half at home keeping our life on track when I'm away.



We grab what time we can for ourselves and try to stay in touch with each other through the day, but the fact remains that we keep different hours.

It's the kind of thing you can be staring at, but it still just kind of sneaks up on you. My long hours at work and on the road added to Dellis' additional responsibilities taking care of her mother all add up to very little time for ourselves. It wears us down.



I blinked and 2004 was gone. It's hard to believe that January is almost over. That opera we saw was back in November and I think we've seen two movies since summer.

Maybe more like one and a half movie. I pretty much slept through Lemony Snicket.



There are times when it seems like the only way to deal with life is to turn away from it. Take a break and recharge. As much as I enjoy the job I have, it takes a lot out of me and I know that can't always be easy for my family.

I never want to take for granted what it takes to keep us both going.



I don't claim to have a great understanding of how things work in life. Most of the time it feels like I've been very lucky that things have worked out for me in spite of my best efforts.

One thing that I know to be true is that I don't mind working to take care of a good relationship.

It's a lot easier than trying to fix one that's broken.

5 comments:

queenpat said...

Happy Birthday to Dellis!!

My birthday was Saturday, but Mother Nature decided that 18 inches of snow was needed that day. So, the fabulous dinner out with my friend, David was off...until next week.

Glad you guys got some time together...

Ruby in Paradise said...

Happy Birthday, Mrs. D! I am glad the two of you were able to get away and beRomantic!

Terri said...

A huge congratulations and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm partial to January birthdays myself as Steven's was January the 18th. Glad you both got a little R & R. Beautiful roses, btw!

Michelle said...

Happy belated bday. Blogger has a comment vendetta against me on your blog!

beFrank said...

Micelle - You and me both. I can barely get my posts up and I'm having trouble commenting too.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who passed along a greeting and good wishes for Action-Wife on her birthday. I think I did a good job of easing the trauma of the addition of another year.

Better beLated than never.

Love you all, beCool!