Saturday, February 12, 2005

Grammy, schmammy. I'm off this weekend

I know a lot of people might like to see some celeb pics from the Grammy Awards this Sunday. I did most of the awards shows last year and I haven't felt a strong urge to volunteer this year. Sorry if I disappoint. Since I'm off this weekend, it'd take an act of God to get me to go into work.

No, really, I mean like an actual act of God. You know, an earthquake or flood or something else of biblical proportions. (Speaking of which, my bag is still packed. How's the Pope doing?)

This is the arrival area for the Grammy Awards two days from showtime.



As it turns out, the closest I'm going to get to the awards this weekend is pitching in on the cabling for our camera position along the red-- uh, green carpet.

That's Joel Fallon, he's the Chief Photographer for our station and often the mastermind behind all things artistic and elaborate in putting people on television. Among his many many accomplishments in the field of TV news, he's the guy who trained me to run a satellite truck.



Speaking of which, it was still a training week. My trainee and I had an actual SAT shot assignment that put us over at Staples. We were helping KEYE, the CBS affiliate out of Austin, Texas. They were nice folks and I'm glad we were able to do the job for them.

I know what it's like to drop into an unfamiliar town to cover a story and have to depend on the kindness of strangers.



The trainee got one step closer to getting his wings yesterday. Mr. Scott Mackie managed to put them on TV with very little help from me.



I'm happy for Scott. He's a true trooper, because I know how scary that first time can be when you're the pushing the buttons. I remember what it was like to be in his shoes.



The chief knows what it was like for me, because he was the one looking over my shoulder.

When he came to me and asked if I'd be willing to be one of the trainers, I didn't hesitate. The idea of giving something back isn't just an abstract concept for me. I've seen how my actions in teaching other people can change lives.

I've seen firsthand how much better off a person can be when given a simple opportunity to learn. I don't know if the many people who have helped me along the way had the big picture in mind.



By teaching one person, it started a chain reaction. I don't mean to be so preachy on a weekend day, but I'm feeling pretty good right now. If anybody who has ever taught me anything reads this, I hope they understand something. It may not have seemed like much at the time, but it was something that meant a lot to me. I hope Scott and the next guy to learn something from Scott understand something also.

This is one way to change the world. One person at a time.

1 comment:

Donna Grayson said...

I just happened upon your website.
Celebrity pics from the Grammys would be cool, but if you have the day off thats cool too.
There was already one Grammy party across from my office on Friday. I posted a little on my website about the fancy people in evening gowns in my office elevator.
I know a friend who was trying to work the Oscars. She managed to get an interview about it, but she didn't get the job.
Well, I will be watching it all on TV ...