Wednesday, February 16, 2005

I love the smell of liveshots in the morning

I'm tired and I feel like just ranting a bit.

Do you remember the beginning of "Apocalypse Now"? Martin Sheen was sobering up in a dingy Saigon Motel. It was hot and dirty and his line was a classic.

"Saigon. I can't believe I'm still in Saigon."



I know. I look more like Brando did in the movie, but the feeling is the same. I can't believe I'm sitting in a hotel room in Santa Maria, California. I can't believe I drove three hours to get here this afternoon. I can't believe I have to keep coming up here for the next six months or so.



For anybody just coming out of a year long coma and haven't been following the saga, Michael Jackson was rushed to a local hospital because he felt ill during his court appearance for the jury selection portion of his trial today.



Guess who got to stand in front of the hospital and shoot the story tonight. Yup, I'm all over it.
I'm actually at the place covering the story people all over the world are talking about. It sounds a lot more interesting to hear other people talk about of it.



I don't know how long I'm going to be here. It's going to depend on how long Michael Jackson stays in the hospital.



I know why we're covering the story, but the fact remains. I was at home this morning and I noticed some chatter on other blogs about this story and I thought it might be cool to be there this week.

A little while later the phone rang. I got my assignment. Whoa, that was weird, but here I am.

"Santa Maria. I can't believe I'm still in Santa Maria."

I won't know how long I'm going to be here until tomorrow.

I'll keep you all posted.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I felt ill too through Jackson's court appearance!!!