Friday, February 11, 2005

I'm missing the Big Easy

I think I got cheated. My family moved to California before I was born. I still claim Louisiana as "home" because that's where my folks and most of my relatives live.

I started feeling a little homesick when I saw some photos of New Orleans "true willow" posted on her blog, The Sum Total of Me (recently beFriended).



I've only been to the city twice, but I love the place. Dellis visited there with me last year and we made some great memories.

My people are from the Northern part of Louisiana and it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I actually made it a point to visit New Orleans itself.



It was either raining or was cloudy and had recently rained during both my visits.



The food was good, the music was cool, and I swear I saw this cat turn into a naked woman. Maybe I had too many mango daiquiris, but I saw "Cat People" and I'm sticking with my story.



It's been on my mind lately with Mardi Gras and all this month.



I hope I can get back there again. There's so much to do and see in the world, it's tough to resist just sticking with what worked.



As I type this, it's raining here and that's just adding to my mellow mood. Once again, I'm looking forward to the weekend and spending time with Dellis. Candles and a bottle of wine to go with some soft music on the record player (yes, records). I still have some Boudin and Meat Pies in the freezer and I have a lot of other photos to look through.

I wouldn't trade where I am for anything in the world, but I love being connected to Louisiana. There's no telling where I'll go, but it's always going to be where I'm from.

Life is good and I hope everyone has a great Valentine weekend.

7 comments:

Tara said...

I am half Cajun thanks to my father's side of the family and visited LA and N.O. many times. Great place.

Happy Heart Day to you and Dellis, too! *hugs*

magz said...

IT AINT SLEAZY.. FEELING 'EASY'...
I linked a waycool cajun called seven on mine, it's a dog's life.

mostly tho, i dropped in to tell ya to drop in on dale and wish him a speedy recovery.. he got hurt pretty bad the other day..
happy valentines to the whole action family!

Ruby in Paradise said...

Boudin! OHMYWORD! I forgot all about Boudin! heehee! I LOVE your pictures! The last picture makes me want to put some Aaron Neville in and drink a Hurricane! heehee...: )

The war is on...stay tuned for more Louisiana pictures. =) Thank You for traveling down Memory Lane with me. I think you said it best...I love being connected to Louisiana.

Lisa said...

I visited NO several years ago in July, and fell in love with it. My favorite spots included the French Quarter, the trolley that goes through the Garden District, the boat that carried our van across the river (whew!) and a little place called Daiquiri's: http://www.fat-tuesday.com/homemovie.html

Of course, not enough can be said for the jazz going on in the background, fresh crawfish or hot beignets. :)

Lynne said...

"I hope I can get back there again. There's so much to do and see in the world, it's tough to resist just sticking with what worked."

I love this line. So true, so true.

Feel the same about New Orleans. Was there 4 years ago and had memorable times there.

Michelle said...

I just love B/W photos. Yours are just beautiful, thanks so much for sharing. I just have to get to NO for Mardi Gras!

emily said...

I spent a week in New Orleans and loved it so much I almost moved there. But the crime scared me off. So instead I moved to Butte Montana, which reminds me of New Orleans because most of the houses are over 100 years old, and there is a section like the French Quarter called Uptown that is all old and historic.