Monday, February 21, 2005

A river runs through it

A mobile home park is no place for fishing.

The rain was coming down hard last night. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I had a shot of Jack Daniels last night. We had all the computers off and Dellis had lit candles all over the house. It was dark through most of the day and it just felt like the thing to do.



Friday afternoon and night my camera, reporter, and I were in the rain covering a river. . .well, actually it was a driveway leading to a mobile home park. The rains had temporarily turned it into a river.



We hitched a ride in the back of a pickup truck to get across. One of my SAT truck trainees ran the SAT truck for us. It feels good to be behind the lens again.

The people in the mobile home park were the only ones affected and like a lot of our news assignments, we may never know the outcome. Things may go back to normal after the rain lets up. Somebody may figure out a way to get the rain run-off to stop being a problem.



The folks who live here will continue on with their lives, mostly unchanged by our coverage of the story. I'm not saying that's good or bad. I'm just being realistic.



As I type this, it's a cold grey morning and the rain is still coming down. I'd rather stay home (I understand it's some sort of holiday) and spend time with my family. That's what I feel like doing today.

What I will do, is get my rain gear together and go to work.

I have a job to do and crazy as it is, I still get a kick out of it. While I stand out in the cold and wipe the rainwater from my lens, I'll have a smile on my face. Chances are whatever I cover today won't be changing the world. I'll just do my job and "be" looking forward to tomorrow.

The rain's gotta stop sometime.

10 comments:

magz said...

oh thanks fer the headsup there.. you KNOW everytime you get rain.. it eventually winds up here.. and today the sun's out and i just got dun mopping footprints off the kitchen floor. beDry buddy!

ceesa said...

I was just wondering if you were in Silverado Cyn. for the coverage of the 16 yr. old girl who was crushed by a boulder. I was up there, saw some news vans and thought of you. I ended up getting stuck up there, and couldn't go to work. It sounds like you were probably somewhere else this morning, just curious.... I knew the girl and the family. It is soo sad. We had a boulder come into our house up there when I was a kid, and I have to thank God for sparing me what this girl went through. I lived up there for 27 years and it is a beautiful place, but most houses are built on rockslides. I have been hugging my two daughters for hours, ther don't know why. Life is hard sometimes. Thank you for your stories, I look forward to reading them.

beFrank said...

ceesa - My thanks to you for reading what I write. I'm working tonight and I may have to cover this story, but I won't know until I get to the station or if I get a call to come in early.

There's plenty of bad that happens in the world. I hug my family and tell them how much I love them all the time. You never know what might happen, so I encourage people to appreciate the good when they can.

ceesa said...

Thank you. I will check in to see if you cover this story, however, as the day goes on, I see the stories evolve, and that's understandable. My younger sister passed away of bacterial Meningitis, and Hard Copy interviewd my Mom and I. We were totally not into it, her story had been on the news for days, and we tried to avoid more media. In the end, there was another story that eclipsed ours, our segment never aired, we were glad. If you ar e interested at all (this is just an FYI), here is a link to her site: http://www.brittany.madore.net/index.htm

Lenslinger said...

Excellent ground report, beFrank! Makes me wonder what kind of camera you use and how you go about juggling it with your rig. You pull it off quite well.

Michelle said...

Yaaaaaay love the new look Bryan, stay dry :)

beFrank said...

Michelle - Did you mean me or the blog?

Michelle said...

LOL i actually meant the blog! But now you mention it.....LOL

ceesa said...

Hope I wasn't too much of a downer, here. I am a glass half full person myself. Hard sometimes, but good. Stay dry (if that is possible this week!)
:)

beFrank said...

ceesa - I mine the depths of human cruelty for a living. It's a struggle every day to pull away from the edges of desperation and despair. I worry that in trying in my small way to change the world, I'll be changed by the events and activities I witness in covering the news.

Staying in touch with others and continuing to be a part of the world is what helps me be able to do the job that I do.

You didn't bring me down at all. You gave me something to hang onto. Your interest gives me a reason to write. Your enjoyment of my words helps me to put it all into perspective.