Friday, February 18, 2005

Trains and Rains

Another rainy day in Los Angeles. Remember the guy who tried to commit suicide by train? He parked his car on train tracks and chickened out, but managed to kill like 11 people in the process.



Well, "chickened out" may not be the right words for what he did. I covered a Glendale Police Department press conference and they're claiming they believe he was trying to get attention for himself by killing as many people as possible.

It's difficult not to react out of outrage before anything is proven. I have to keep reminding myself, he'll get his day in court.

I hope justice is done, but I'm still pissed.



We set up to edit and do our liveshots near the spot where he left his car.

I stood close to the tracks and got to see how fast the trains zip by. It really surprised me how fast they actually go through the crossing. The thought of the train hitting the car is a little frightening.

See that? Yeah, the train in real life was moving just as fast as it looks in the picture.



It was still raining off and on through the evening. The air was crisp and I sloshed around in mud puddles between liveshots. I don't ever expect to understand why anyone would choose to deliberately do something like this.

His mental state is going to be argued, but we will probably never know for sure what his real intentions were.

Like most people, I've know pain and loss in my life. I will just never understand how someone could possibly want or hope to make their life better by destroying the life of someone else.

I've got to go to work.

Have a good weekend and don't forget to hug somebody.

5 comments:

Terri said...

The train accident the other night, caught on video, was about two blocks from my house. Amazing video on that one and fortunately, no one hurt or killed.

What a lousy way to commit suicide. The life of pain and misery he will live now I'm sure will be much worse than death. You know, my best friend murdered her daughter and killed herself. While it may sound odd, she loved Terri Lynn, her daughter. Was a very good mother. I will never understand - except to say, there must be a level of emotional pain that is completely unimaginable to those of us who are mentally healthy. I don't know if the guy in this particular story really intended to kill anyone...who knows. And, don't forget those who while not killed with live lives in pain, maybe in wheel chairs, rehab, jobless, those who emotionally and mentally won't fully recover from what they saw and endured, etc. all related to this one man's misery. When I was assaulted I was out of work for almost 7 years, I now take over 40 pills a day and will for life, it effected my life far beyond that one day, those 15 minutes and it took me a long time to get back much of what I lost. Some things I'll never get back. Since I am our primary income we've been financially devastated to some degree, ever since. Just recently pulling ourselves out of being out of work for so long and having so many medical bills and still having close to $400.00 of medication a month!

Will said...

I'm glad to hear you're withholding judgment to some degree and allowing the suspect his "day in court." I myself have little empathy for him but I don't really see why the Glendale PD felt so compelled to release this new information other than to further vilify him. I'd have much greater respect for law enforcement if they'd just let these developments come out in court.

emily said...

I have real issues with suicides like that. A suicidal woman shot my high school boyfriend and then herself. . .I'm still not over it 20 years later! Bad enough just to kill yourself, why take others with you?

beFrank said...

terri - I like surviving. It's one of my favorite things to do in life. I'm always encouraged when I see other people survive also.

will - Good point. I think the reality of law enforcement is that they depend on the public perception. This press conference seemed to cater to the public's interest in this particular case. I'm just guessing, but I like it better when they release info. It's worse when they don't.

emily - I see it way too often.

gemmak said...

Everyone before me said all I wanted to say, Terri/ Will I'm with you on this.....sad situation all round, very sad.