Tuesday, July 26, 2005

At a loss for a reason. Part I

It's not a safe world that we live in. I learned that again yesterday while on an assignment to cover the murder of Brittany Veal. I shot an interview with Brittany's mother and her brother and they desperately want to know the truth of how and why Brittany was killed.



They don't believe they're getting the whole story and I'm inclined to agree with them. After talking to an Inglewood Police Detective and people from the neighborhood where Brittany was murdered, I'm convinced there's more to the story. Maybe not a lot, but something.



What is known comes from the only witness, a young man whom Brittany was with the night of the incident. The young man was shot in the arm during the altercation that left Brittany dead.

It might be difficult to understand, but the police can't always tell everything that they know about a crime. It's true that sometimes there's no way of knowing what information might compromise an investigation. I don't believe they're hiding information from the family, I just believe they need to be allowed the opportunity to do their job.



Mostly, there's nothing for the family to do. Sometimes making a public plea for information through the media can help. Sometimes the image of us as vultures picking at the misery of others is hard to shake.

In this case, we were invited in and asked to help. I want to do my job, but I'm never eager to intrude on the burden of grief someone else is carrying. The slim hope that we might be able to help is what keeps me going.



The family needs closure. I'd be happy to know that the suspect was caught, but I know I may never find out anything more about the story than I know right now.

Just as we were leaving, Brittany's mother asked me pray for them. I don't think I've come across anyone recently that showed their faith as strongly as she did. It was unexpected and caught me so far off guard, I could barely choke out my answer.

I told her I would.

If you're not religiously inclined, this is where you should stop reading.


Our Father who art in Heaven
hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done,
on Earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.


Amen.

Anyone who'd like to add something in the comments, feel free.

2 comments:

ladylefteye said...

I didn't know Brittany but when I heard about what happened to her it brought me more closer to God. From what I heard Brittany always put him first in everything she did and that's very admirable. So to her family and friends God bless you all.

Lost Thoughts said...

went to school with her long ago but it still hurts my soul today...