Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Don't forget the tacos.

Somebody remind me to be careful about wishing for news to cover.

It was a slow day yesterday and I much rather my Mondays be chock full of interesting news to cover. We had plenty of news to cover, but luck of the draw, I didn't catch any of it.

In the picture? This is the Apple Store on Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena. That's a nice area to hang out in if you've got some free time. Cool, I was okay with going and shooting some footage of the iPod Nano and maybe stop at King Taco.

No reason for me to ask what the story was about before I left. It just didn't seem to be that critical.



Like I said, Pasadena is a good place to hang and lots of other people think the same thing. As I was shooting from the sidewalk in front of the store, I got about a dozen people asking me what I was doing.



Yes, I especially like the people who walk through the shot, stop, come back and ask what I'm doing.

Natural curiosity and all, I know they want more details than the obvious and that's just a polite ice breaker. Still, with the camera, mic flag, and a big honking logo covered microwave truck behind me, that just makes the question annoying after you've heard a few thousand times.



I'm a nice photographer (that's not always true) and I explain that I'm shooting the iPod Nano for a news story.

Half the people who talked to me, asked why I wasn't covering any "real" news.

Gee, I don't know. They pay me to do this, so it's kind of like a job. You know where I can't just pick and choose what stories I'm going to cover. Maybe Steve Jobs shot somebody. I'm sure he wouldn't, but it could happen. On the way back to the station, I'll hope for a brush fire or another torso somewhere.

So, I'm in a swell mood already and then on my way back to the station I don't get a fire or a torso (I bet it's not many people who get to use the word "torso" when they talk about their jobs). What I get is a flat tire.

First blowout in almost eleven years of working news.



It happened as I was cruising down the 2 Freeway heading back to the station. I wasn't in a hurry. Just driving along and the van started feeling like I'm running over ridges in the road. The rear end felt wobbly as I made my way over to the shoulder and I actually felt when most of the tread fell off. I came to a stop, got out and made a critical assessment of the damage (woo, I can't fix that). One quick call to the assignment desk to let them know I may not be back right away and I waited.

The desk put a call into the roadside assistance company we use in these situations and right about then to my horror I realized that I had forgot to stop at King Taco.

Damn.



A "short" three hours later and I'm back on the road. This guy was good. He patched the tire.



Not!



Actually, he swapped out the spare and I went on back to the station.

I never saw the iPod story, so I'll have to ask what it was about when I get back to work today. In the three hours I was waiting for help, I did manage to microwave the tape back, so at least they had the footage.

Life can be pretty random sometimes. I have three more tires from the same set and boy, do I feel lucky. I think I'll pack some snacks and something to read today.

You never know when you'll be stuck on the side of the road.

2 comments:

kerry said...

Hi, I've enjoyed visiting your blog. I am trying to get my creative zen mp3 players site up and running. At the moment I am concentrating on the Zen Touch and Zen Sleek. Sadly, the Zen micro does not appear to still be available from Creative.

I've certainly got some way to go before that site meets the standards of your blog.

kerry said...

Hi, I've enjoyed visiting your blog. I am trying to get my creative zen mp3 players site up and running. At the moment I am concentrating on the Zen Touch and Zen Sleek. Sadly, the Zen micro does not appear to still be available from Creative.

I've certainly got some way to go before that site meets the standards of your blog.