Tuesday, March 14, 2006

It's snow problem

Man, you just don't know how much we go through sometimes to bring you the news. It's often a grueling day full of driving in traffic just to get the story on the air.

By the way, you just don't get to see this kind of scenery from the comfort of your living room.



This is what it looked like on the way to Frasier Park last Friday. We were heading up to cover the snow.

(YAWN!)

The thing was, during the day, the sky was blue and the sun was out and shucks we really didn't think we were going to get any new snow that evening.



We got info from the assignment desk about a major construction project that was being jeopardized by the inclement weather and went to look into it.

Yeah, we're the news, baby. We go get the stories and bring 'em back a live.



So, this major water project is only 22 days from deadline and they're working on it 24/7, but the weather is seriously causing problems for them.

It was a dramatic situation. The project has a hard deadline and the people working on it are giving it everything they've got, but damn. I can't imagine doing the kind of work these guys are doing.

Maybe I'm not the only one who couldn't imagine it. The rain and freezing working conditions has been causing guys to drop out.



Good story, but it just wasn't going to happen. We couldn't be in two places at once. Our assignment was weather and we were pressed to focus on that. We shot an interview and a bit of b-roll, but eventually moved on to cover the weather.

I was worried about not having anything to shoot, but it helped our story that the snow actually began to fall and I got a post up about it last Friday night.



I don't know how the project is coming along, but I'm pulling for the guys who are out there doing that work in the snow and the rain.

It was thought to leave the construction site, bird in the hand and all. I like that story better, but those aren't the calls I get to make. I'm a news photographer and if I wanted to have more input on those decisions, I'd being doing something different for a living. Sometimes that's difficult to take. The trade-off is that I get to see sights like these snow covered hills with my own two eyes.

Not everybody is going to think it's a fair trade, but let me just add one thing.

You know, they also pay me.

2 comments:

rs said...

Hey bud --

Great blog!! Lurching out of lurkdom to give you a piece of east coast wisdom: "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."

Go hit the end-of-season sales at LandsEnd.com and llbean.com and get yourself outfitted for next winter, when sure as god made little green snowflakes there's bound to be more snow falling, and more snow stories for you to get paid to chase.

We don't want you frostbit! Go get some good gear, photodude...


Cathy
transplanted to the other coast

beFrank said...

rs (Cathy) - Sounds like great advice. I know my mental powers to cloud my own mind haven't been working against the cold. Proper outdoor gear might just do the trick.