Sunday, November 19, 2006

Facing Monday.

It's been more than a couple of months since I hung out to write at the Starbucks around the corner from my house. Say what you want about Starbucks, it was a great routine for me.

I'm over here today to try to get in some writing time, but that includes a quick post to the blog to get the cobwebs out. It would probably be nice if I had actually done something recently that was compelling enough to share.

Guess I'll have to look forward to my assignment tomorow morning. I have an early call to help cover something at the criminal courts building downtown.



I was down there back in August for the John Mark Karr extradition hearing. This is one of those places where I wish i could turn the camera around and let you see behind the scenes.

If I have my facts straight, the room that houses the broadcast gear on the twelfth floor was thrown together during the O.J. trial.



You can probably tell it doesn't get used much these days.

When there's a lot of media interest in a case, this is where we all patch in to go "live" from inside the building. We can also get a pool feed from inside the courtroom or distribute video when available. Last time I was working up there, almost everyone had decided to do their liveshots outside.

There are times when the patch panels are full. That's not a pretty sight.



I'm not sure what job I'll be doing tomorrow morning. I could be shooting and editing or I might just be handling the transmission gear.

I almost hate to say it, but I'm not even positive what case is being covered.



I like it a lot that I can do my job with confidence. It's not so simple that I can easily get bored. Enough goes wrong every day that I know I have to stay on my toes.

It really just comes down to me being able to do the job and handle whatever curves are thrown at me. I'm there because I'm the guy that makes sure the story gets on TV (and preferably when it's supposed to be on).

I expect to be fully caffienated today. Tomorrow is Monday, the first day of the work week. I'll top off in the morning and just "be" ready for whatever comes my way.

2 comments:

Alice said...

That's quite some cabling ya got there, son...

beFrank said...

lukku cairi - Heh-heh, yeah, that's how we roll.

Sorry. I can't get that out of my head.