Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Light at the End of the Tunnel?

All metaphors aside, I'm talking about our move. It's coming and son of a gun, we might actually survive. We're getting out trainees up to speed on the new edit system and I sat down with Marvin on Wednesday to start writing up tip sheets on the Aurora edit trucks.



I have to tell you, the small taste of what (I think) it must feel like to write for a living was pretty seductive. I might have done a bit more reflecting on that whole notion, but during the course of that day I was also told when I'll be back in the field.

It's coming sooner than I thought. I couldn't be happier.



In the meantime, I'll just keep trying to get a taste of news while handling training duties.

Like today.

We were in Willmington today for a press conference with Councilwoman Janice Hahn and Los Angeles Police Captain Joan McNamara. They announced an offer of a $75,000 reward for information about a shooting that took place nearby at a small mom & pop style market.



It's difficult not to believe in capital punishment when something like this happens. Someone just opened fire into the market. The gunfire injured one person and killed Kendall Chun.

I saw the surveillance video footage after the press conference. I'm not sure if anyone aired it completely, but I could see Kendall Chun as he's hit by a bullet. He staggers for a moment and seems confused, then falls to the ground.



I'm not sure if his parents saw the video, but I really hope they were spared the sight of their child's death.

Later we went over to the market and it was a creepy, but familiar feeling to walk around and just be in the same location as the video where we had just seen someone murdered for no reason. Other people were at the market going about their normal day to day lives. I went inside, bought three plums and a bottle of water. It's hard to tell if anyone else was feeling it, but the whole time I was at the location I was very aware of the fact that, hey, the killer hadn't been caught yet.

You never know when you might be a target.

We're often at crime scenes and I can't say that I miss that part of the job, but I'm still eager to get back to it.

Uh, that's not a train coming is it?

1 comment:

darleene said...

You know, you could look at the whole situation from, say, my point of view - everyone I know, even my buddy at the Daily News!, has seen the new station.

Except me.