Thursday, April 05, 2007

It's how you say it.

It's getting scary. We're just a few weeks away from the big splashy fu--

Whoa, time out! Flag on the play.

Sorry, I've been listening to Eddie Izzard (he's the British comedian who used to perform in drag and now he's currently in that cable show "The Riches" playing a guy who doesn't dress up in drag) and because my writing process is kind of stream of consciousness driven, I keep wanting to write "fuck-all" because I keep hearing Eddie Izzard saying that in his British accent in my head.

So I almost wrote. . .

. . .big splashy "fuck-all" move to the new station. . .

. . .but I didn't, because I generally write like my kids, my parents, heck, even your parents (I mean ya' never know) might be reading this.

I don't mean to offend.



I also worry (well, "worry" might be too strong a word) that people might be offended by the use of the f-word in my blog. Worse than that, someone might read this and think the f-word was a negative slur against the station and that couldn't be further from the truth.

Truth be told, I'm pretty impressed with what's been built so far. I've always been enthusiastic about what we do (my job? love it? heck yeah!). We're being given brand new tools to get the job done in a way that hasn't been done before here in this news market.

Even cooler than that, for all the complaining I've done it's pretty mind blowing to me that I've played as large a role in the move and the implementation of the new gear as I have.



I don't doubt that we've got a talented and capable group of people leading the way as we change gear(s) and head towards a hi-def 16:9 world. If it wasn't me, then someone else would be filling my spot.

Yeah, I know that's true, but it isn't someone else. It's actually yours truly (somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming).



Ouch! Not so hard.

The clock is counting down and I'm resting as much as possible. We're going to be busy and I'm betting that I'll be looking back and missing the quiet easy days before the move.

I'll be missing the quiet as much as right now, I'm missing the adrenaline rush of seeing little bits of history happen right in front of me.



Like the fire last Friday afternoon. Most of the city was a witness to parts of it as they went about their day to day. They saw it happening and maybe wondered about it as they carried on with the stuff of their lives.

When I see big things looming in the sky, I know it's likely going to be a part of my day at work. Most of the city will remember a day like last Friday. It's a part of our shared history. I'll see it up close and I'll be involved in it. I'll have a first hand up close perspective on it.

(sigh) That used to be what my job was like. It hasn't been much like that for a while, but it will be all that and more again pretty soon.

So I hope you can understand the excitement I feel. I hope you can pick up on the quiet subtle completely understated tone and inflection in my voice when I tell you. . .

. . .yeah, it's pretty fuck-all cool.

2 comments:

Brit said...

The eff word will make filters at schools block you.

beFrank said...

brit - Well, darn, darn, darn.

(Thanks. It probably won't be a regular habit.)