Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Call me Uncle Mike

Anybody remember the show "Wiseguy" from Stephen J. Cannell? Jim Byrnes played a character nicknamed "Lifeguard" on the show. I was a big fan and thought it was cool when Ken Wahl's character "Vinnie Terranova" called in to get help (or messages) from Lifeguard.



Lifeguard lived and worked in a room filled with electronic equipment. His job was to keep tabs on and support undercover federal agents. He was always just a phone call away if an agent out in the field needed help.



I kept thinking about that on Monday night as I talked one of our SAT truck operators through setting up and operating one of our newer trucks.

I'm pretty mellow and slightly unimpressed when it comes to the things I do.

No thanks necessary. Just doing my job, ma'am.



If it wasn't me, someone else probably would have helped the crew get on TV on Monday. We've got a small handful of people who could have stepped up and gotten the job done.

Still, I felt good about it. It could have been someone else, but it was me.

I have to admit that I was a little impressed. It does take some ability to walk someone through operating a satellite truck. At the end of the call I felt like I needed to put ice on my head. My brain was fried, but that's okay. It hasn't been so long that I don't remember when I had to make that call. I certainly appreciated when people helped me and it's good to be in a position to pass along the favor.

Just remember, no running and be careful around the deep end.

3 comments:

dkgoodman said...

Ever watch Highlander? There was this bartender named Joe Dawson, see, and he was actually a Watcher who kept tabs on the immortals but wasn't supposed to interfere. I think you're more like him than Uncle Mike. Now, who was it played Dawson? ;)

Will Campbell said...

Sharon Tay's back in town? When did this happen and why wasn't I paying attention!

beFrank said...

dkgoodman - Hey, whaddaya know? Same guy. Did he have a cool high tech place to do his watching?

will campbell - She's been with us for a couple of months. Haven't you been watching?