Monday, June 04, 2007

What happened to the news?

Yes, I have no news. There's probably something going on in the world that I should be paying attention to. Meh, this weekend and all day today I just haven't gotten close enough to the television to turn it on. I'll see what's going on in the world after I get to work.

Melt 3/4 of a stick of butter in a cast iron skillet. Sprinkle 1 and 1/4 cups of brown sugar into the butter. Open a can of sliced pineapples and a jar of maraschino cherries. Arrange the cherries and pineapple slices in the skillet on top of the brown sugar/butter mixture.



That's not good. Now I'm stuck for something interesting to blog about.

I added half a cup of canned mandarin orange slices because I had a taste for orange cake instead of yellow cake. Either one is okay.



If I had taken some interesting shots outside, I might have been able to blog about photography. The only time I took out my camera over the weekend was to document my return to baking after a twenty year hiatus.

Preheat the over to 325 degrees. You don't have to use a cast iron skillet, but if you use another type of cake pan or dish, increase the heat to 350 degrees.



Dellis thinks I've been seeking out comfort food and maybe she's right. It's more likely that I've had a little extra time and just wanted to flex my culinary muscles.

Mix a standard size box of cake mix, yellow or orange or whatever you have a taste for. Just don't hate me for not making this from scratch or using fresh ingredients. Pour it into the skillet over everything that's already in there.



I've got a training assignment today. No telling how much actual news I'm going to get into and it's not very likely that I'll be lucky enough to get another gallery showing.

Bake in the oven for about 45 to 55 minutes. You know how to do the toothpick test? Before you take it out of the oven, poke the cake in the center with a toothpick and pull the toothpick out.



One good thing about the training days? I can carry my still camera with me and try to get a few nice still shots. That doesn't always happen when I'm covering a breaker.

The cake is done when the toothpick comes out clean (no batter). I left this one in for almost an hour. I didn't want to turn up the heat because I was worried that the edges would burn.

Let the cake cool for ten minutes or so.

While you're waiting, check my blog and see if I've done anything worth reading about.

Place a plate (big enough for the cake to sit on) on top of the skillet and flip both over so that the cake now sits on the plate.



News has been good lately, so I'm actually looking forward to the week. I'm gonna pack a lunch, maybe a salad or something low in calories. One good thing about being busy at work. I don't really think about food that much and I'm active enough to work off a few calories.

Yeah, that's a good thing, because I'll need a natural disaster story to work off the calories in this sugary landmine.



2 comments:

darleene said...

Wow! YummmmmmmmE!

Trinity's been on a baking kick too. You too could do a baking blog.

heheheh.

beFrank said...

Shucks, then I'd have two blogs that rarely get updates.