Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Bourne (camera) Ultimatum

All I could think was that it it's been weeks and months since I've shot anything. I covered the lucky baby born a couple of weeks ago and I shot an interview on the 4th of July, but nothing recently that was particularly interesting.



When I found out my trainee for the week had called in sick, I went all YIPPEE! Then I felt bad for being happy about someone else's misfortune.

Then I went YIPPEE again.



I was assigned to cover "The Bourne Ultimatum" premiere over at the Arclight Theaters. Cool. Premieres are usually fun to post about.

At least that's what I thought.



Right after I took this shot, a couple of older ladies (they looked like premiere organizers) came over and asked me not to take stills. They were nice enough about it and I think they might have expected me to put up more of a fuss.

About fifty feet to my left were all the professional still guys. About a hundred feet to my right were fans with any and all kinds of still cameras. No, it doesn't make sense, but it's not my event.

The way I look at it, I'm only there for one reason. I'm covering their event for the news and still shots aren't part of that coverage. It's fun to be able to snap a picture or two at the interesting places I go. . .


Matt Damon as Jason Bourne (artist's rendering)

. . .but it's not a necessary part of what I do (for my job or my blog) and I'm still looking forward to the movie.

I'll be back to running a training session today. Hey, is it just me or does anyone else expect Matt Damon to talk like his puppet self from "Team America: World Police"?

2 comments:

Herdingcats said...

I sure wish the cinematography in the Bourne Ultimatum were a bit more still and calm. Wouldn't it have been great if you had done some of it. I have the feeling that the director and the camera men were at odds. The camera guys trying to say politely "if you do nothing but the jerky camera, the audience will get sick".


What did you think?

Joey said...

I HATED the cinematography of all the Bourne movies. I might have really enjoyed them if I could see what was happening.

Not only is the whole movie filmed by an epilieptic with a hand cam, but the way the shots are cut make it difficult to know where the characters are in relationship to one another during chases.