Sunday, July 08, 2007

I like to watch

Uh, that post title is a quote, not a confession. I'm talking about my yard. Maybe I should have gone with something less open to interpretation.

"All is well...and all will be well...in the garden."

Hmmm. Nope, I like the first one better.

I'll give you fair warning. This post contains nothing about my job as a news photographer. It's the weekend, so I worked at home on my yard (bad back and all).



All year it's been difficult for me to get anything major done in the yard and I've fallen behind on the regular upkeep more often than I've actually kept up.

The thought of cutting back on the higher maintenance plantings has crossed my mind. Mostly after I've put in a few hours out in the sun.



Still, it's nice to go outside and be able to pick enough apples for Dellis to bake a pie.

Say it with me, "Mmmmmmmmm, pie".

Dellis bakes the pies. I work in the yard and eat the pies. It's a good system and I'd hate to upset the delicate balance of nature.



I was actually going to skip the yard work this weekend because of my back, but Dellis and I had bought a couple of flats of lisianthus. Some of them were starting to droop and I wasn't sure they'd make it through another weekend.



I've put in a lot of daylilies, but I also have a lot of them still in the pots they were in when I bought them.

Sorry, but I can't help myself. I stalk the local Lowe's Garden Center for marked down plants that I think I can save. I buy them during the week and try to get them planted over the weekend.

Come on, 50% - 75% off? I can't help myself. I call it a sickness, but some people just call me cheap.



One of our pygmy palms is almost six feet tall. When it gets taller than me, I don't think it's fair to call it a pygmy any more.



It's a shame I don't spend more time out here. Were this far into the summer and I still haven't lit a fire or spent any time out on the deck.

There's just so much more that needs to be done and I have a hard time sitting back to enjoy it when there are things still needing to be done.



Well, at least it's all looking good in pictures.

Rome wasn't built in a day, so I'll keep working on it. I kind of like the idea that it never will be finished. It'll continue to evolve and grow.

In the garden, growth has its seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.

It's Sunday night and tomorrow I go back to work. A couple more days in the yard wouldn't hurt, but it should be an interesting week. More news and less garden talk.

I promise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, how's the shack coming along? Asantana

beFrank said...

asantana - Pretty good. I got depressed over all the junk in the garage and moved stuff in before I painted it and finished things, but it's summer and I'm not worried just yet about weather.

If I get a couple of days free, I might be able to finish it.

Lisa said...

It is quite beautiful and relaxing-looking.

Send us a pie, would you? :)

darleene said...

Wow! What a great backyard! I'll spend time out there in your place if you want, shoot!

beFrank said...

lisa - It's relaxing after all the work gets done. Not so much lately.

Would you like coffee or ice cream with that?


darleene - Are you offering gardening services? The lounge aound time? I got that covered.