Monday, July 23, 2007

Shakespeare Bits

You know who kicks ass? Shakespeare does. I enjoy pop culture as much as the next guy in line to buy a ticket to see Pirates-Transformers-Die-Hard-Potter-Shrek III: The Movie, but there are often times when I need my entertainment to be a little less escapist and a little more challenging.

Dellis and I (along with #1 son) attended (at the invite of Paul Skolnick) the Shakespeare by the Sea production of "The Taming of the Shrew" over the weekend.


This is the third year we've hit the show and I'm thinking this production has been my favorite so far. So, KER-POW! Score big two-fisted points for me in my battle against the dumbing down of literary and cultural entertainment (yeah, take that Pierre Bourdieu).

It's hard to believe that I've seen enough Shakespeare to be able to compare productions. Maybe even harder to believe my appreciation has grown to the point where I actually have favorites ("Much Ado About Nothing", "Romeo and Juliet", and "Hamlet" thank you).

Okay, maybe not all his most challenging works. At least I'm talking real stage productions and not the Muppet or Leonardo DiCaprio versions.

Don't tell any theater snobs, but I will confess to a strong belief that Michael Keaton is the definitive Dogberry.

1 comment:

Tara Lynn Johnson said...

I *heart* Shakespeare.

Lucky you!