Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Somebody should ask.

I'm not going to spend my morning on this, but it's been on my mind. I've come across more than a couple of people who want to know why the personal life of the Mayor is news.

Look, so far I don't think anybody is asking him how she was in bed. Maybe people aren't watching the coverage and just assuming we're digging for tabloid nugget details of the affair.

Okay, the Mayor had an affair. Did he lie to his wife? If he did, why should I believe he won't lie to me? Was he fooling around when he should have been seeing to the business of running the city?

It's frustrating that people don't think these are "fair" questions.



It kind of makes me want to yell and bang my head on the side of the newsvan. From where I stand, I think these are legitimate questions. Maybe it's just me, but I believe a huge part of his job as an elected official involves trust. Can we trust him? He's our Mayor and I want to know about his character. I want to believe that I can trust him to represent my interests as a citizen of Los Angeles.

Have we let our expectations fall so low as to not believe we can (or should) hold our elected officials to a higher standard?

If you don't want to ask the question, that's fine. There are a lot of people (I'm one of them) who want to ask the question. I want to be reassured.

Dude, can we trust you?