Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The thick of it (almost).

Wow. I've got maybe ten minutes to give an update on what's been happening since I last posted from my Blackberry yesterday.

That's not nearly enough time to do justice to all the events of the last twelve hours.



I'm not in any danger, but there's people who might disagree if they were driving with me through the fire area up near Running Springs. You can see the small fires burning along the road. The wind was helping me out along this stretch, but further along there were points when the visibility was zero.

I could see the road directly in front of me, but not much more than that. In the middle of the day, that's scary.

It had gotten worse after the sun went down. I traveled the same route when I had to gas up the satellite truck. Both at day and night, you could see open flames all around, glowing embers floating in the air and a lot of smoldering burned area.



Shooting a fire (stills and video) is exciting. Being able to get up close to the stories we cover can be pretty intense, but it's difficult to talk about the rush of being out here. I have to remind myself there's a lot being lost and I don't want to be insensitive. These fires are destroying lives and that's a truth you can't always see clearly.

I'd rather not see people hurt by the story I'm covering. As much as I wish for nothing bad to happen, that's not something I control.



I'd rather know the truth of what's happening and I enjoy having a job that allows me see it for myself.



Yeah, I know there's a lot more to be said on this, but it'll have to wait. I'm running late and I've got to go to work.

I'm not sure how far the fire has gotten since I went to bed. Gee, I got about five hours of sleep and I'm thinking that's probably more than a lot of people got last night. It actually would have been more, but one of our microwave trucks had a flat tire and we had to get it out of the fire area before it could be changed.

You can't call AAA when the roads are blocked.

I'll check in later if I can.

Blogged with Flock

1 comment:

AMO said...

;) You're awesome, befrank