Saturday, November 17, 2007

Affected

We see a lot of the worst parts of life doing this job and I find I don't have to be very close to a story to be affected by it.

As I write this, the little girl in the hospital bed is over a week past having had one of her legs amputated. That's the result of an accident caused by street racing drivers who hit her family's car.



Her name is Jasmine Aguirre and her family provided us with these pictures of her in the hospital just prior to her her surgery.

It wasn't my assignment. I didn't shoot it for the news and I didn't shoot the still shots from the hospital room. My only involvement in the story was to help the crew import the still images into the edit system.



We're witnesses to the pain and suffering of others in the course of our job. We shoot the interviews, edit the packages and do the liveshots, then we move on to the next story.

Maybe it's not our job to make sense of the events of the day, but it is difficult to bear witness to so much pain and suffering and not feel compelled to beg and plead for people to be more responsible for their actions.

It's just so frustrating, because this pain and suffering was so completely avoidable. Street racing? All it would have taken was a thought by the driver of the car who caused the accident. Just a simple thought to the possibility that his actions might affect someone outside of himself.

We cover these stories and all I can do is hope that putting it on TV might give someone that second thought to avoid hurting someone else.

Other people sometimes have a better view of the events we witness, but we see a lot in the course of our jobs. Maybe it's just me, but I think we're affected. A little bit at a time and too often not for the better, we're changed by being involved in the coverage of the news.

So, it goes with the territory.

All I can do, through all the hoopla and hype, is hope someone sees a glimpse of some of the worst parts of life and be moved enough to decide to behave a little better.

In that way we might avoid the kind of accidents that put little girls in hospitals.

Blogged with Flock

No comments: