Monday, December 17, 2007

Killer Auger

I don't expect this to make the news, but no joke, this thing almost broke my arm today.

Well, I'm actually laughing now and nursing both my arm and a cold beer (for medicinal purposes only). I rented the post hole digger because it takes me longer to dig the holes manually and I figured it was worth it to get the job done.



I've done this before. The posts for every bit of decking in our yard was dug out with a similar gas powered auger. The twisty part underneath is supposed to be spinning. Not the top part.

It's a simple concept, but there are huge chunks of concrete buried in my back yard. Our house was built on land that had seen the demolition of homes to make way for the 105 Freeway. Every now and then I'll find another relic of that bygone era.

The auger bit into something hard and whatever it was, it stopped the auger cold. Unfortunately, I kept turning.

The auger spun me around and threw me into a half nelson (for real). My hand twisted and was caught under the handle. It happened so fast, I didn't have enough time to do anything.

Just by luck, my hand slipped free and I untwisted my arm. As you can see in the video, the auger just kept spinning and I went inside for my pocket camera. What the heck, I gotta blog about something.

My shoulder and arm is sore and I'm not altogether positive I didn't do some damage to my wrist. It's all just sore and I'm betting it's not going to be feeling any better in the morning.

I'm going to be okay. I just hope nothing else tries to kill me on this vacation.

3 comments:

darleene said...

I love it that you have a "Yup I'm A Dork" category.

beFrank said...

darleene - What would have been really funny is if I couldn't stop it and it had to run until it was out of gas.

Genevieve said...

I thought engineering equipment normally goes around clockwise not aniclockwise no wander your arm was nearly ripped off.

You should have been looking at the colourful trees that you had planted instead of looking at pavement.