Friday, January 25, 2008

Shifting Gears

A lot can happen in a short period of time. That doesn't actually include me going home or anything, but still, lots of stuff happens.

Just today, I've been up since 2:00am.  I went on the clock from 3:00am and ran one of our SAT trucks until 1:30pm.  Last I checked, Fraizer Park is still covered with snow.

Rapidly melting, dirty, mushy snow, but still snow.



A week ago I was cold and tired, but on assignment in Las Vegas.  For everyone living for the karmic balance that was bound to hit me sooner or later, here you go.

No fancy steaks or oysters on the half shell at the Flying "J" truck stop.  Dinner on Thursday consisted of the fresh catch of the day seasoned with the finest cajun spices.



I know how bad that was, but I ate at the truck stop diner on Wednesday night and learned my lesson.  Trust me on this one.  The tuna was the better meal.



I'm not complaining.

I lost track of the number of times we hit during our first day up here.  It was snowing heavy almost every time we went on the air.  If we could have done the liveshots from inside the van, that'd been sweet.



We worked around the clock that first day.  Well, we went off the clock after midnight, crashed for two hours, then got up and went back out to cover the morning news.  I managed to grab a bite for breakfast right after our last live hit.

Rocky's coffee shop?  Good food right across the street?  Who knew?



The capper on these last couple of days came this afternoon when the Monte Carlo hotel was burning.  I called the assignment desk (mostly kidding) and pointed out that I could take our SAT truck and be in Las Vegas in a few hours.

They told me to do it.

Bat out of hell?  Shoot, that bat couldn't keep up with me.  I was out of here faster than the folks back at the station can change their minds.

But just barely.



I grabbed my crap from my room, tossed it in the truck and hit the road.

Right away, I called my lovely wife Dellis and let her know I was still going to be away from home, but maybe just a little bit further.  We talked about her possibly meeting up with me over the weekend, but that's as far as the planning got.  Sadly, I was no more than ten miles out when I got the call.  Change of plans, turn it around and head back to Fraizer Park.

The snow story is great.  It's a challenge and I'm stoked to be out here.  It's just that for a brief moment, it was all that and an adrenaline filled exciting time in news.

Pass the hot sauce, I'm going to be here for a couple more days.

Blogged with Flock

1 comment:

turdpolisher said...

way cool pics!