Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Work in Progress.

I've spent the better part of the morning trying to write up my Artist's Statement and Bio for the gallery show coming up in May. I'm gonna walk the dog and when I come back I'm going to read whatever comments have come in, make one last revision and send it off to the gallery.

Does anyone have any constructive input?

Artist’s Statement


What would you do, if you could do anything?

Well, fly, read minds and turn invisible of course. After that, I think it’s a very lucky person who might continue to live their life as it is with little or no change.

I’m a Broadcast News Photographer for CBS2 and KCAL9. When I go to work each day, I never really know for sure where I’m going to end up. My assignment could take me just around the corner or I could find myself on a plane on my way to somewhere else in the world. Either way, I get a big kick that my job is always a roll of the dice.

I’ve always loved what I do and consider myself very lucky that I often get to witness events that will be remembered as important parts of history. Having carried a still camera pretty much wherever I go on the job, I’ve gotten the opportunity to photograph moments behind the scenes of many of the stories that have led the newscast. Plus, I’ve also had the opportunity to shoot candid shots of the people in front of and behind the camera who bring you the news of the day. Capturing moments in time, that’s what thrills me and drives me to keep doing what I do.

Sure, there are other ambitions I have in life. Becoming a News Photographer in Los Angeles is just one goal I worked towards and successfully achieved. It’s what I wanted to do and I’m proud of that. If I can always keep finding a moment to snap a still picture during the course of my day, well, I’ll always be content and I guess I don’t need to change a thing.

I think that makes me a lucky person, even if I can’t fly or read minds.*



*Heh-heh, (invisible wicked laughter) maybe I am standing right next to you.


Bio

I’m Bryan Frank. I was born and raised around Los Angeles, California (but “my people” come from Louisiana). I graduated from Junipero Serra High School and the California State University at Long Beach. At CSULB I majored in Radio and Television and minored in English, Creative Writing.

My lovely wife Dellis and I have three children (woo-hoo, they’re all grown up, but don’t get me started talking about our kids) and a dog named Kayla.

News people don’t generally work banker’s hours, so typically by day (and night), I work for CBS News in Los Angeles at the CBS2/KCAL9 duopoly station. By night (or day), I randomly publish a blog called “beFrank” that just shows a little bit of what I experience through the course of my day (sometimes night) at work in news and at home.

You can find my blog by doing an internet search of “beFrank” or at the web address:

http://coolshots.blogspot.com

I shoot mostly with a Canon 20D camera and print using the Canon Pro9500 and i9900 printers. I wrestle with Adobe Photoshop and use a couple of other pieces of image editing software to totally wreck what might have otherwise been nice snapshots.

Should I also mention that I really like beer? In-a-what. . .oh, inappropriate. Fine.

Yup, the beer line is part of it.

2 comments:

turdpolisher said...

I didn't know your peeps were from Louisiana. What part?

beFrank said...

Yup. My folks live in Shreveport and my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and people I'm not related to (but have known me since I was born) all live or lived in and around Alexandria.

It's been about two years since I last visited, but I get back there pretty regularly. I usually make the drive from the Northerly areas to the middle. I extended my travels as far as New Orleans (pre-Katrina) and I expect I'll be visiting those parts again eventually.