Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin (1937-2008)

I'm sure everybody has a George Carlin story. Even if (like me) you never met him in person.

Okay, I admit I don't have a good George Carlin Story.

My oldest friend I've known since the eigth grade. We both attended the same college and graduated with the same major.

Over the years we've worked a few of the same jobs and still hang out together and have a beer or catch a movie once a week or so.


Photograph from the Internet

He's laughed with me (often at me) through every girlfriend I've ever had and he was laughing and cracking jokes with me when I met my wife. Honestly, it's still kind of surprising how that turned out.

The first semester of college when we did a lot of things we shouldn't (but thankfully enough of the things we should), we played a lot of George Carlin. Going to school every morning we played George Carlin over and over and over until we could have done his bits from memory.

I remember laughing out loud at the same jokes we might have heard a hundred times.

My condolences to all the family, friends and fans of George Carlin. I'm saddened by his passing.

It's too bad I don't have a good George Carlin story. I've got stories of people, places and things from a particular time of my life and all I can do is notice how much he was a part of the soundtrack to everything from then.



Blogged with the Flock Browser

3 comments:

dkgoodman said...

I just read the labels you tagged your post with. LOL

Carlin would have loved it.

Thanks for the laugh, BF.

EL-GUAPO said...

I don't have a good Carlin story either, but I did happen to catch a live stand-up show of his a couple years back. He looked old and tired...but in terms of his comedy, he hadn't lost a step. I walked out with sore abs and a fractured mind. Glad I had a chance to see one of the all-time-greats, in person.

Also dug your tags, by the way.

beFrank said...

dkgoodman - I'm glad someone mentioned seeing the tags. Sometimes I wonder if anyone is out there.

el-guapo - And we all know a fractured mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Thanks to everyone about the tags. Even though I've been a little lazy about posting lately, I'm glad folks are still paying attention.