Friday, September 26, 2008

The Quantum of beFrank

It's Friday and I've seen and done a ton of stuff this week, but I've got no time to write about most of my experiences.

Just a little Friday rant. Gee, maybe we'll call this a regular feature.

I think I'm still touchy about my van getting hit with an egg a week ago. You're welcome to your opinion about local news. The criticism isn't going to crush my feelings. Heck, a lot of what you might have to say could very well be true. I'm willing to keep an open mind and consider outside points of view.

Just don't expect me to agree with you on every point and don't expect me to stop doing my job because you don't approve of the stories we're covering.

I'm just a bit fed up with people who never watch the news, never bother to vote, never try to improve their own lives and never take responsibility for their own circumstances telling me the media is the source of their problems.



Four of the last five stories I've covered have involved violence. First the shooting at Washington High School last Friday night.



Nice weekend. While suffering through a cold turkey caffeine withdrawal, I watched our friendly neighborhood hawk kill a pigeon and eat it in my backyard.

Some of the feathers are still back there.



Monday found me South of downtown Los Angeles covering the story of a woman who was killed and set on fire. I don't think the police have had any luck in even identifying the woman. The only clue left was the name, Carlos, tattooed on the back of her neck.

I had a burrito and a horchata drink for lunch from a place that used to be a McDonalds a couple of blocks from where the woman's burning body had been found.

How could I eat?

Well, it was really a pretty good burrito.



The family and friends of the college student killed in the Tuesday hit and run accident in Northridge probably doesn't take much comfort in knowing the police were able to quickly track down the suspect.

I can only imagine the impact the sudden loss has had on their lives.



Such a random accident and one of my greatest fears is the loss of someone close to me through a random accident.

this was only Tuesday. I was feeling like I was on a roll for hard news. No problem, though. This is what I do for a living. Sometimes it is fun. Covering these stories? It's not fun.

It's just part of what we do.



Wednesday I was in Century City on Century Park East in a loading zone outside of an office building. We were interviewing a lawyer about his client, a suspected serial killer.

The Lawyer told us, he didn't believe his client was guilty.



Really.

After the interview, we had to drive all the way across town to do our liveshot in front of the Men's Central Jail. That's how most of the week went.

Last night I got to drive an Aston Martin DBS. That's the car Daniel Craig as James Bond is going to be driving in the movie "Quantum of Solace." I was covering the launch party of the video game based on "Quantum of Solace" with Rich DeMuro.



The title for the movie comes from a short story in the Ian Flemming book "For Your Eyes Only" (which was obviously the title of another Bond movie).

I read a few of the original Bond Novels, but I never read that particular collection of stories. God bless the internet, a little research revealed that the short story "Quantum of Solace" seems to deal with the differences between the actual lives people lead and the perception we might have of them.

The dealer representative smiled and asked if I'd like to drive the car.

I looked at her. "You ever hear of Eddie Griffin?"

"Who?"

"Yeah, I'd like to drive it."

I started it up, released the racing brake and put it in gear. It died when I didn't give it enough gas. I restarted it and pulled forward all of three feet. I backed it up three feet, turned off the ignition, folded myself into an origami dinosaur and got out (without bumping my head this time).



That was cool. I even got a still shot of the faux Bond Girls hired to add a little sex appeal to the launch party.



I had a point to make, but again my time is running out and I have to get ready for work.

Really, I have no idea what kind of night I'm going to have. I just show up for work and go wherever the assignment takes me. I'm not done here, but it's going to have to wait until later.

Have a good Friday.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

Adam Butler said...

I didn't notice anything faux about those Bond gals.