Monday, October 13, 2008

APTRA Fake Out

I don't know why, but I've never been big on posting video to the blog. Over the weekend, I was a volunteer at the APTRA Reporter Camp up in Mailbu Canyon and I'm suddenly inspired to share a short clip.

It's always a fun weekend. Filled with mostly college age students (but open to anybody) who want to see what it's like to work as reporters in news. It's a great opportunity for networking and a chance to get feedback from professionals.

At the start of the weekend, we break off into groups of two or three mentors and five or six camp attendees. As a group we all work on covering a mock breaking news story.

It's an intense weekend and I'm sure I'm not doing the two day event justice. It takes more than a dozen civilians and volunteers from local and county fire and law enforcement agencies to pull off a really elaborate news story.

The day is fueled by a large group of people who are all eager to show that they have what it take to get their first jobs in news.

With all the folks participating, you get a media crowd of photographers and reporters that's as big as a Britney Spears paparazzi entourage and every one of the students is looking for the next development in the story.

So, you have to ask yourself, what would happen if one group suddenly decides to just run randomly as if they had spotted something important to the story.

video

Yeah, but it's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt. You might have to watch more than once, but as she's rounding the corner of the tepee, one of the girls from my group got tagged pretty good with a camera. She was rattled, but was okay. Most of us (okay, me) didn't even know she had gotten clobbered until a little while later.

I really felt bad that she'd gotten hurt. . .but obviously not bad enough to keep from sharing it on the internet.

2 comments:

darleene said...

Paparazzi in training! Awww, I hope that didn't leave a mark.

beFrank said...

I think she's still okay. It didn't break the skin. She was pretty cowboy about it and managed to make it through the rest of the weekend.