Saturday, October 25, 2008

Me, Ray and The Laker Girls

There are bigger sport fans in the world than me, but that doesn't matter.  When you're sitting courtside covering the game, you get into the moment.

It's actually been a few years since I covered any sports.  At some point the station set aside a few guys to just shoot sports and the few opportunities for news shooters to help out have simply gone to guys other than me.



No big deal.  That's just part of the randomness of what I do.  It's all luck of the draw.

Last night, I guess you can say I was lucky.

The assignment was about the Laker fans in the Inland Empire who would be getting to see a Lakers game being played at their new sports arena.  The small downside to that is the new arena is in Ontario and the rush hour traffic drive to get there was going to be a killer.

The funny thing is, I also had a mandate to shoot as much of the Laker Girls as I could.



I know.  Sucks to be me.

So, there I was courtside, paying some attention to the game, but really just waiting for the perky Laker Girls to bounce into action.

My cell phone rings.



It's Ray Culberson.  He's one of my best friends and he's at the game.  He's seen me down on the court sitting next to the Laker Girls and he just wants me to know that he's seen me.

"Hi, Ray!"



While I'm on the phone with Ray, I ask the Laker Girl sitting next to me to turn around and wave at Ray.  She's cool.  She does it (and now she's my favorite Laker Girl).

I'm never going to be rich doing what I do for a living, but you gotta realize, at times, my job satisfaction is through the roof.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

EL-GUAPO said...

I've spent many an'afternoon squatting on the floor along side many a'pretty cheerleader...and all I can add is...yes, it's a tough gig, but someone's gotta step up, and I am always willing to be that guy.