Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Remember The Night!

I'm glad we don't have to do this level of coverage every day. I'm wiped out and still have to go to work later this afternoon.

Okay, if you haven't heard by now, Obama won the election. . .



. . .and I wore a tie to work.



You know, there's probably little to no correlation between these two historic events, but I can't help but wonder how the election might have gone had I not worn a tie.

The scarf, I'm sure, had nothing to do with either thing, but I like it because my older daughter made it. I'm glad I had it with me, because during most of the day, the room was freezing. Probably in anticipation of the massive amount of heat Barack Obama's supporters were bringing to the election.



Man, it was quite the party at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel. During a lull in the coverage, I made my way up to the front of the room to shoot back towards the media platforms.

It took me a while to get up there.

It shouldn't have surprised me, but the music playing throughout the evening was a lot more contemporary that I would have thought.



We were even treated to a concert by the duo of "Mary Mary". They were good. I'm going to be loading up the iPod to give them a listen.

I was working next to Juan Fernandez and Carl Stein most of the evening, but my job was to put Serene Branson on TV.



I thought this was a nice picture of her. She had to bop from the big room and the room where Ridley Thomas' election night headquarters was set up.



At one point, our room got so crowded they weren't letting anyone else in. We had a moment there where we weren't sure that Serene was going to be able to get back to our camera position for her liveshot.

It worked out, but that's the kind of stress that we didn't need. It's kind of expected that things like that might happen, but it's our job to fix those kinds of problems or work around them.

Luckily, these things sometimes will work themselves out.



Food for the crew was another issue we had to work out. I don't know what it's like at other stations, but we've been left to fend for ourselves more and more as the belt has tightened in these economic tough times.

I was able to make a food run for the crew. It was a quick jog across the street to a Baja Fresh in the food court of the neighboring Westfield shopping center.

Funny, but that's forever going to be a part of my Barrack Obama election night memories.



Not the biggest memory of course.

Nope, my biggest memory of the night by far is going to be of the cheer that went up through the room when Barack Obama won the deciding electoral votes.

After that (even when CNN posted their predicted win for Obama), it all seemed anti-climatic for me. Not in a bad way. The election was pretty much over, I still had to focus on my job, but the person I felt should be given the opportunity to lead the country had won.



I'd been surprised by the outcomes of both the last two elections and was very thankful for the decisive victory. I'm relieved there won't be any doubt as to who won the election.

Well, there's never enough time to say all the things I'd like to say.

Today I'm sore, but happy.

Very very happy.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

3 comments:

Lenslinger said...

Awesome confetti shot (and nice tie)...

beFrank said...

Thanks.

I'm trying to start a trend.

Well, not really. Actually it's just fun to see the shocked look on people's faces.

darleene said...

I have a couple of Mary Mary CD's...