Monday, December 08, 2008

Sad Thoughts.

Things were settling down by the time I'd made the drive down to San Diego. The day had started out pretty cheerful for me and this plane crash was completely unexpected.

If you haven't gotten the basics yet, an F-18 crashed in a San Diego neighborhood as it was attempting to land at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.



The debris peeking up over the fence is part of the jet's canopy that landed a few blocks away.

Three people have been confirmed dead and a fourth is still missing as I write up this post. The pilot was able to eject and survived.



I don't want to offend anyone, but that's likely one of the victims being carried out. My first thought was to avoid using that particular shot, but it seemed like that would be less than candid or even honest.

I'm here and that's what I saw.



We were allowed pretty close to the one home that was completely destroyed by the crash. That was surprising. I expected to be kept blocks away, but the authorities allowed us to walk into the area.

Other homes were damaged and it's all pretty traumatic. A lot of the people from the area seemed like they were walking around in a daze. Shaken by the experience.



Not that it needs the help, but there are a lot of details to consider that are just easy ways to make yourself even sadder and depressed about this tragedy. This close to Christmas and at least one small child died as a result of the crash.

If you're safe at home tonight and your friends and family are also safe, be thankful for that. Try not to imagine details that are impossible to know. Keep a good thought in mind for the the friends and family who will need the strength in the coming days.



Well, I'll be here through the 11pm newscast. It's not likely, but I could even end up staying down here through tomorrow.

Unfortunately, that's a lot of time. A whole lot of time to think.

1 comment:

Ken said...

What I always find rough in a situation like this, is these people who were killed were simply sitting at home. They weren't on the freeway, or in a crime ridden neighborhood. This was simply unfathomable.