Friday, January 09, 2009

Enjoying Venice Beach, CA

I'm feeling kind of sluggish and groggy. I wonder is it possible I could be over-relaxing while on vacation? I'm back to work on Monday, but I think I'm going to need your encouragement if I really want to finish my solid week of goofing off.

The last couple of days weren't too bad. While resisting the urge to accomplish anything really productive, I'm still trying to do some of the things that I've wanted to do and promised myself I'd get around to (but never did) for the last few years.



Taking a quick stroll an shooting some of the weirdness out at Venice Beach was on the agenda for Wednesday.



This is another area that's practically in my own backyard, but I don't visit very often.

I can remember bicycling out here once with my older two kids and I've done the same with friends back in the day.



It's a great place to snap pictures and even though I just wanted to hang out just long enough to cross the item off my to-do list, in the short time I was there I found plenty to massage my creative impulses.



The day was slightly overcast and there was maybe a bit of winter chill going on, but the sun was peeking through the gray every now and then. There were fewer people sightseeing because of the haze.

Fewer crowds by far than I've seen on some weekend days.



Along with the pigeons and seagulls, I've enjoyed a nice breakfast or two here at the Sidewalk Cafe.

It probably would have been my lunch spot for the day. . .



. . .if I hadn't already enjoyed some awesome grub over at Enterprise Fish Co.

I don't know if the Sidewalk Cafe serves oysters, but the Enterprise Fish Co. certainly does. They also serve a mean grilled red snapper with grilled vegetables (zucchini and red peppers) on the side, a good porter beer on draft and a triple layer chocolate cake.

I should also mention that I needed the walk along the strand to help me digest some of the lunch.



Oops, I got ahead of myself and forgot to mention the green salad with pears and glazed walnuts I had to start.

During my walk, I was a little disappointed in not finding vendors selling tube socks. I didn't really need any, but I just remember they used to be a hot item to sell.



There were still plenty of sunglass vendors. I think I bought a pair or two from this stand back in the 80's.



I spent more time in the car driving to Bakersfield on Monday than I did hanging out at Venice Beach.

Still, it wasn't the quantity of the time spent, it was the quality of the time.



It's difficult for me to understand how some people feel the need to unplug completely while they're on vacation. At some point I'll have to try that. I'll put down the digital camera and stay away from the computer.

Yeah, we know that's not going to happen.

6 comments:

lomara said...

I'm an L.A. native and I don't think I've ever visited Venice. I'll have to remedy that one of these days. The new job is on the west side so I think I'll have an opportunity very soon. Now I know where the good food joints are! :)

beFrank said...

There's so many things to see and do around the city. It's a shame to never make the time to take advantage of them.

Go for it.

darleene said...

That looked like a fun, unproductive, yet personally productive day. I love walking around a taking pictures. And Venice is always fun. I used to rollerblade there everyday...

LisaNewton said...

I've been to Venice several times, but each time I go, I see something I haven't seen before.

Great pictures..................:)

Ken said...

I personally like to do "things" on Vacation. There are so many things to see and do in this world, 99% of them I will never experience. I can lounge by the pool on my weekends....

The Cool Consultant said...

Absolutely love the photos of Venice Beach. Without a doubt, the most amazing place on Earth. I was there last Summer for 3 weeks and cant wait to go back.

Dan