Monday, October 12, 2009

APTRA Weekend 2009

It's almost time to start my shift, so I have to go check in at the assignment desk. That means you just get a few pictures for now. I promise to come back later to fill in the blanks.

Well, that's the plan, unless my assignment takes me somewhere interesting.

We'll just have to see.



(Hey! Okay, I'm back!)

Just woke up and it seems like all I have time to do when I get home is grab a bite to eat, fall asleep wherever I sit down, crawl into bed and start it all over again the next morning when I get up to go to work.

What happened to free time?



I can't help but think it might actually be my own fault. Shucks, I could have had plenty of free time this past weekend if I hadn't volunteered at the APTRA Academy.



What's that? It's an annual weekend broadcast news training boot camp sponsored by the Associated Press Radio and Television Association.

People who think they'd like to jump into the broadcast journalism pool have the opportunity to spend the weekend networking and learning from people who actually work in the field of TV news.



We all take part in a mock breaking news story and spend the two days putting the story together, then present selected pieces for a critique.



Dozens of working fire and law enforcement professionals (and also professional actors) donate part of their weekend to perform in the mock news story in order to add to the realism.



This is the fifth year I volunteered to help out.

The attendees are split up into groups (hello, "Blue Crush") and I usually shoot and edit for one of the groups.



My bad pinkie (see earlier posts) prevented me from shooting this year, but I did manage to hang in there the whole weekend and edit for two groups.



It's a fun weekend. A lot of work, but it gives the participants an opportunity they might never have. They get to see a little bit of what it's really like to cover the news.

It also gives them a chance to network with working news people who are willing to be mentors and actually want to help along the next generation.



So, that's why I once again find myself zombified and trying to drag myself through another week of work. It was a ten hour day yesterday and I spent most of it standing out in the bad weather.

I kept wondering something as I hauled my soggy self in and out of the van for multiple liveshots in the rain. I wondered if the folks who attended the APTRA Academy realize that not every day is interesting and full of excitement.

Some days are just normal days at the office. You get rained on. You miss meals. You depend on the kindness of strangers for bathroom facilities (and you also get your stitches wet against specific instructions from your doctor).

These are just the regular old days at work for me. Of course, I wouldn't trade them for anything.

I just wonder why anyone else might feel the same.

Blogged with the Flock Br

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

外籍新娘努力向上,台南有一個大陸新娘,他在大陸是一新疆舞的老師,他雖然嫁來台灣當大陸新娘,但是他一樣努力向上他為了讓新疆舞的美讓台灣人都知道於是在公園教越南新娘林氏一起跳,二個人就這樣變成好姐妹,越南新娘也因為如此他的生活也更加充實開心.

Anonymous said...

提供您SEO排名利用自然排序把你的網路排名SEO優化而達成網頁排名中的關鍵字廣告,而網路行銷中把網站優化後網站排名就是另一種關鍵字行銷手法給你最佳化的SEO服務。一般瀏覽者高習慣性使用入口YAHOO我們幫您保証自然排序前十名,因我們的技術保証您可指定全球任何搜索引擎保証排名... 網站優化是目前最新興的廣告曝光方法,SEO搜尋行銷提供了專業的關鍵字排名與SEO搜尋引擎最佳化服務,讓你的網站在網路行銷中遙遙領先.