Saturday, November 28, 2009

It's Okay, He's With Me.

Happy Turkey Day +2 to everyone. I'm still feeling a bit stuffed, but not so stuffed that I'm not planning out my lunchtime attack on the remnants of Thanksgiving '09.

I believe I'm trying to make up for the fact that I missed the sit down family meal because I had to work on the holiday.



It wasn't bad, a little holiday pay and I get a comp day to named at later time (my pick) and I only covered one story.

Every year, The Laugh Factory comedy club hosts a free turkey dinner for the homeless, jobless and struggling citizens of the Hollywood area. That was my one story and I got to hang out for a bit since there wasn't a pressing need to be anywhere else.



A couple of bizzaro things happened while I was there.



Not the least of which was getting to interview Frazer Smith. I can remember listening to him on the radio back in my early college days. You know, that's a cool part of this job. Sometimes I get to meet interesting folks.



"Interesting" might not be the best description and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that Sylvester Stallone's mom? She actually qualifies as a third bizzaro occurrence from this assignment.



I also want to be kind, because I think it's an admirable thing to donate your time for an event like this. There's no shortage of people in need and never enough people willing to give of their time.



I was also impressed that even a few bigger stars showed up. I almost missed the chance to get a sound bite from actor/comedian Paul Rodriguez. He showed up just as I was heading back to the news van.

The big bizzaro moment of the evening actually happened while I was just walking up to the club and I'm sorry I didn't get a still shot.

You remember the movie, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"



The voice of Roger Rabbit was done by Charles Fleischer (I was going to snap a picture of him, but he wasn't around when I had the chance, you'll have to google him).

So, I had just locked the van, I was carrying the gear and heading towards the entrance. Charles Fleischer walks up along next to me. Naturally he's heading for the same place.



There's a line out the door and around the corner. A second side door opens and we both turn towards it. An older guy at the door puts his hand out and tells Charles Fleischer he's got to line up.

The older guy doesn't recognize Fleischer.

They go at it for a minute, nothing out of control or loud, but the door guy is being firm that Charlie Fleischer has to line up if he wants a meal. He still doesn't understand that Fleischer is a celebrity coming to help out.

I speak up.

"Dude, this guy's a celebrity. He's here to help. You probably should let him in."

Maybe because I'm carrying the big news camera, but the older guy apologizes and let's us both into the club.

I thought that was pretty cool. It's really rare that I have that kind of clout. I'm surprised Charles Fleischer and I weren't stuck out on the street waiting for a real celebrity to come by and vouch for the both of us.
George Clooney: Dude, that's beFrank, you should let him in. . .and let the Roger Rabbit guy in too.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

#167 Dad said...

Great post!
Damn, Frazier Smith was the man when we were in college.
"Give my high five and let me know you're alive!"
Keith, you and I saw Flliecher at the comedy store a couple of years ago.