Monday, November 30, 2009

Shhh, I Heard Something.

It's not that I can't sleep at night.  I'm just in the middle of a goofy cycle of staying up late, falling asleep when I get home from work, then waking up at odd hours in the morning.

That's what happened on Saturday and that's why my minions were getting Twitter updates from me between 1am and 5am that morning.



When it got to be around 5am, it was close enough to sunrise that I figured I might as well run out and snap a few pictures.

It seemed kind of crazy to get up that early (and it is), but the early morning first light that peeks out from the horizon can be pretty amazing.  Plus, I got some decent shots a couple of weeks ago when I had done this same thing.



There's a whole serenity vibe going on just before sunrise.  Last time I'd been running a little late and only caught a few minutes of the good golden hour light.



I left the house earlier, but this time I almost missed it because there was a homeless guy wandering around the lagoon area where I had shot last time.

He kind of creeped me out.  He was wandering around like a zombie and I didn't want to take a chance he was going to come after me.  It would have been difficult to save the camera and fend off a zombie attack, so I decided to move on.

I drove around to the Marina del Rey side of the wetlands.



There's a spot at the end of Via Marina overlooking the channel that has always been a popular spot to hang out.

It was nearly empty at 5:45am.



A few joggers made their way past and I kind of wondered if any of them thought I was nuts for being out that early.

If they did, I just want them to know I was thinking the same thing about them.



Yeah, I was cracking jokes in my head the whole time.  I had to.  Otherwise I might have been too creeped out to snap any pictures.

There were flocks of birds gathered nearby and I had an Alfred Hitchcok moment.  Also, in the early morning quiet, I heard a splash in the water.  It might have been a seal or sea lion or maybe a mermaid.  I never saw what made the splash.  I just know it sounded pretty big.

Anybody remember a low budget movie, "Humanoids from the Deep" that came out in the mid-eighties?

I do.

You'd think I'd be a little less inclined to wander around by myself like this with my sometimes over-active imagination.



Well, that time of morning can still be an powerful experience.  It was unexpectedly an experience I found to be almost spiritual.



So, even if it's not helping my sleep patterns to be out this early in the morning, it does help my peace of mind.

With all the homeless zombies, attacking birds and aquatic humanoids churning around in my head, I can use any little tiny bit of "peace of mind" I can find.

This was another photo expedition that I found to be totally worthwhile.

I'll sleep when I can.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

4 comments:

Karen Hassett said...

wow-your pictures are absolutely beautiful.

Wish I could get that quality on my website, www.playavistatoday.com

Love your marina shots early in the am

beFrank said...

Glad you like the shots. I had a blast taking them.

#167 Dad said...

Them's some good lookin' photos, mister acttion photography man.

turdpolisher said...

early morning is my favorite time. you're right. almost spiritual. great photos as always. stay away from the zombies or you'll have to change the name of your blog. . .ZOM-beFrank