Sunday, August 29, 2010

Smile and Breathe or Sleep?

People have asked me recently how I manage to survive on so little sleep.  That's funny.  I think what I'm doing these days just barely meets the minimum requirements of "survival".



I've come to the conclusion that sleeping is often overrated and even more so when missing out on it is for a good cause.

Like Friday night.
 


Auxy Espinosa invited me to be a part of a gallery show for a charity fundraising event she, Julian Reyes and Rasha Goel put together with Eddie Paez of "e The Project".



The fund raising was being held to support a book project meant to inspire and give hope to cancer patients, their friends and their families.



Heavy stuff.  It was definitely an honor to be asked to share my work for such a worthy cause.



A friend and still photographer I work with pretty often, Su-e Tan, was also invited to be a part of the event.  Su-e works in the graphics department of our station (CBS2/KCAL9).  If you watch us at all, then you've seen his art in promotional work for us.

This was his first actual gallery show.  I've done a couple of gallery shows before, but this time Su-e and I would be sharing space with a couple of pretty established artists.

Nothing to be nervous about.



With room for only five pieces, I had a tough time deciding which photographs would be best to put on display.  After a fair bit of stress I settled on my five.  They turned out to be a mix of some past and some more recent shots that I thought showed a good representation of my work as a photographer.

Not everything I do, but a fair showing of it.



Heck, I'm not the nervous type anyway in these situations.  I've always gotten a sense that people enjoy my photos and I'll let you in on a little secret.  When you're not competing with anyone and your life isn't depending on how your work is received (but you set out to do your best) you really don't have much to worry about.



That's my philosophy anyway.  Plus I knew the room we'd be showing our work in was right next to the bar.  If I had any problems they wouldn't be so big that they couldn't be solved with a nice frosty cold beer (I know, that's my answer for everything).

I will admit that on the way to the event I heard an unexpected radio spot mentioning it and mentioning that CBS2/KCAL9 would be covering it.

Gee, that was new.  It gave me pause.  Wow, this event is going to be pretty big.



If things actually started going badly, I mean if it came down to it, I was perfectly willing to do something personally embarrassing to distract people.

Actually, with my lack of sleep (and again, after having had a couple of beers) I'd have been willing to do something like that even if things were going great.

As it was, the moment of pause was actually just a moment.  The event, along with our photography work, was well received.

Now, somebody say something nice about the easels I spent a good portion of my week building.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

3 comments:

Jay Studio Photography said...

I wasn't sure where to leave this comment. Just want to say you got some interesting photos and comments to go along with it. NICE blog.

Afton said...

I really like the photo of MJ, and was very surprised to see the snow covered news van. Sorta surreal looking actually. In fact, it would be interesting to see you document the media in general. Something behind the scenes I guess, could be interesting. Cheers!

beFrank said...

Jay - Thanks. I kind of enjoy taking pictures and writing. Wish I had more time to do those things.

Afton - Heck, have you seen my Jumping News People on Facebook? I won't rest until I have a shot of a network anchor to add to the collection.