Monday, December 13, 2010

No, I Won't Scratch Your Nose For You.

It was just one of the high points in a week that included shooting an interview with Jane Freaking Fonda.



The story starts when I was called in early and drove directly to the City of Santa Ana. I have fond memories of my early post-college video days of working for Santa Ana's civic access cable TV channel. Paid far less than I am today for lugging around a 3/4" portable VTR, camera, tripod and sun gun (with battery belt)-- hey, come to think of it, that's not a fond memory.

Anyway, back on target here, I was working with Serene Branson and we were being granted a jailhouse interview with convicted murderer Paul Smith.



Paul Smith was convicted of killing a childhood friend and of attempting to place a hit on the case's lead detective.

Yes, it is a strange feeling to be locked in with a man who is believed to have killed another human being. That's weird enough, but I also had to mic him.



He wasn't Charles Manson weird, but he was still just odd enough that I was glad he was brought to us fully restrained.

He could have gone all Hannibal Lector on me and tried to bite as I ran the lavalier mic underneath his jail house scrubs. I felt pretty safe, but I was thinking he could have had a good laugh by just saying, BOO!



That would have been pretty funny (after the fact). Thankfully he behaved himself. He was even completely coherent during the interview.

CBS2/KCAL9 Video Clip

Crazy?

I'm not a trained psychiatrist, but yeah, I kind of believe that he might be missing a few marbles.

The sad part for me? He isn't the worst killer I've ever talked to.

Happy Monday. I hope this week is as interesting as last.


Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

Kristina said...

I hung out with this guy in Long Beach...little guy for years ago...I was never afraid of him but he did try to pay me to have sex with him and lived with a gay roommate...he was weird but I excused it because he was on so many drugs!