Friday, January 14, 2011

Just for Fun

You know how you promise yourself, you're going to do something when you have the time? I've know about the observation deck at the top of LA City Hall for a while now.

In the late eighties, I attended a couple of CATV community access organization meetings in the room at the top. I wish I was into still photography back then. It would be nice to have those shots to compare them to the ones I took yesterday.



I remember when they had to close the observation deck (I believe it was for earthquake retrofitting) and when it opened back up and thinking, I should take some pictures from up there.

Also, I was reminded of it a couple of times by Eric Richardson of "blogdowntown" when I stumbled across one of his posts about it.



I worked a dayside shift Thursday (1/13/11) and clocked out about 3:30pm. Even though I'm usually trying to beat the heaviest traffic whenever I'm off work earlier than 4:00pm, it seemed as nearly a perfect day as I was likely going to get for taking pictures.

Plus, I could see the downtown skyline as I headed South on the 101 freeway. I had to face it, LA City Hall was calling to me.



Life is hectic and I'm a busy, busy, busy person. . .(busy).

I was planning to cook dinner (still did, chicken and okra over wild rice with honey biscuits). I have a personal projects that are screaming for my attention. I volunteered to work a dayside shift and the short turn around hit on my sleep was still dragging me down.

All this was swirling around in my mind, but I didn't let any of it stop me.



Even though it would have been easier to just stay on route and head for home, I took the opportunity and made my way through security and rode the elevators to the top of City Hall.

Okay, technically not the very tip-top, but as close as I was going to get without some climbing gear.

I'll worry about those shots another day. For me, this was just a cool opportunity to enjoy a view that many people will never take the time to check out.



You know, I would have loved to hang around until sunset and even gotten a few shots after dark when everything would be lit up. That'll have to wait for another day (and a tripod).

It was a succesful expedition. I got a few shots and I took a nice long look at the city.

I packed up my camera, rode the elevators down and headed for home.



After dinner, I played around in Photoshop and stiched together a couple of small (four shot) panoramas. Those are the third and fourth shots in this post in case you were wondering.



My desk is still overflowing with bills and assorted odds and ends that demand my attention. I'm working on all of that (uh, right after I hit the "Publish" button on this post).

Even though it would have been sooo much easier to just drive home, I'm glad I made the effort. Many years from now I might not have the ability to stop and enjoy this particular view.

Life is short and I won't get to do everything. With a little effort, I'm still going to get to do a LOT of things.

Happy Friday. Enjoy your weekend.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

BellaKarma said...

I'm so glad you made the effort too! I miss going out to L.A. and your photos like these remind me of why I love the city so much. And the last photo in the post is breathtaking! I cannot stop looking at it.